Large yellow lady's slipper

machellerMay 29, 2009

I found a thread on GardenWeb forums about places to buy yellow lady's slipper only 2 days ago and now I cannot find it. Does anyone know a garden plant supplier that sells yellow lady's slipper preferably Cypripedium calceolus? If so, please help. There was a beautiful grouping of lady's slippers at my grandmother's house and I'd rather buy some for my own garden than try to transplant them from her home... I don't want to disturb their environment! Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

You could try the sources listed in this thread: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1007

Some of the links are dead, probably because they are for companies offering "rescues", which is a nice way of saying they bought land and dug up the orchids to sell. Others are reputable companies that offer Cypripediums grown from seed. You may have to wait awhile but laboratory propagated orchids will have the best chance of survival and do not impact wild populations.

I've been considering trying to grow this species in vitro. Will probably fail but might be fun to try.

Bookmark   May 30, 2009 at 10:51PM
penngardener(z6a PA)

I purchased all my ladyslippers from Vermont Ladyslipper Company.

They sell high-quality bare-root plants (though somewhat pricey, as are all lab-propagated ladyslippers) which are doing well in my garden. The cultural instructions they send with each order are an excellent resource for planting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Ladyslipper Company

Bookmark   May 31, 2009 at 10:46PM
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

Isn't calceolus the european yellow? Pubescens is the large native yellow, parviflorum the small native yellow.

Here is a thread w/ a bunch of sources listed old cyp thread

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 11:15AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Depends on your source. Some authorities regard our large yellow lady's slippers as C. calceolus var. pubescens and the smaller one as C. calceolus var. parviflorum.

The Flora of North America project views our species as C. parviflorum and recognizes three varieties: var. pubescens, var. parviflorum, and var. makasin.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™