virginia creeper

josie869(z6 NJ)February 26, 2005

Any one have an idea how to kill virginia creeper?

I have tried cuttin the main artery but it just keeps coming back and taking over my yard.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

kill it a lot.

wait until it puts up tender growth in the spring. sever the stems and paint the cut end with round up. You can put the Roundup in a sponge top bottle (for moistening stamps). Repeat as necessary.

Or you could keep it. I have it under my pines and I like it there - it's a nice ground cover. maybe once a year I have to pull it off the rhododendrons, not too aggressive.

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 1:04PM
josie869(z6 NJ)

I have tried round up, didn't work
any other suggestions?

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 1:58PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Pull and dig!

Bookmark   February 26, 2005 at 9:01PM
Annie_nj(z6b)

Pull and dig
Pull and dig
Pull and dig...

Bookmark   March 1, 2005 at 1:22PM
lpcat(Z7 SJ)

This is one of the hardest plants I've tried to get rid of. I currently have a 4 year old patch which has been pulled and dug every month it's been warm enough to garden for 3 years...... I'll let you know if it still comes up this spring. Good luck and (hopefully) good riddance!!

Bookmark   March 7, 2005 at 9:50PM
Jiminy_Cricket(z6 NJ)

I heard this once regarding vine removal: Try submerging new growth in bottles of herbicide (like round-up) for several days/ weeks. Use old jars or Coke bottles, fill them up, and stick the branch in. Hold the branch in place with a hole in the lid and/ or aluminum foil. The natural capillary action of the plant (which it uses to deliver water from the roots) should distribute the herbicide to the roots and kill the plant.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 2:17PM
josie869(z6 NJ)

oh that sounds like a great idea. I will try that. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 8:24PM
jammie711

I am going to try this because my virginia creeper is choking out everything and destroying by fence. I do have one worry and that is my two dogs. I will have to stop them from going near the chemical. But I am very excited to go home and try this. I have pulled and dug for so long I was just about ready to give up! I hope it works! I guess we will see. Wish me luck.

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 11:44AM
rothwood(z7 NJ)

The best way to kill Virginia Creeper is to try to grow it as an ornamental vine. Once you convince it that it is not a weed, it will die!

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 5:33PM
srosso(z6 NY)

is there anything similar to virginia creeper which is not invasive. i'm trying to cover a large wooden garage. i prefer it to be fast growing, evergreen would be nice, but not essential. self-supporting would be grand. thanks!!

Bookmark   December 14, 2006 at 4:58PM
axeman(7)

"is there anything similar to virginia creeper which is not invasive. i'm trying to cover a large wooden garage. i prefer it to be fast growing, evergreen would be nice, but not essential. self-supporting would be grand. thanks!!"

Me, I like Virginia Creeper for that kind of thing. :) It gets around but not all that quickly, and I dont find it hard to remove from where I dont want it.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 10:19PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Hydrangea petiolaris (climbing hydrangea), Schizophragma, and Decumaria barbara are attractive, clinging, deciduous vines. Bignonia capreolata is clinging and evergreen.

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 8:11PM
jerusalemcherry(Dunellen, NJ)

There is one Virginia Creeper plant that grows too slow to be invasive. Its called Variegated Virginia Creeper.. The cultivar and/or variety is called Star Showers.

This plant has green & white leaves, its very showy. It can be found in local plant nurseries or if you google it. One place that sells it mail order/online... The place is called, Morrison's Home & Garden..They are in Plymouth Mass.. The phone number is 508-746-0970. They were nice to deal with & I got my plants quick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Morrison's Home & Garden

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™