Leaf Bagging & Picking Up Leaves

new_to_charlottencMay 24, 2006

My mom is in her late 60's and she is looking for an easier way to pick up leaves and put them in a bag. She doesn't like dragging around a garbage can, lined with a bag. She just likes using a bag but it's tough for her to fill it at first.

Is there a product on the market that allows someone to set up a bag?

Is there some kind of thing you can put on your hands, to make it easier to grab more leaves at a time? My mom said her friend in England said they sell "leaf hands" for 1 pound. You slide them on like gloves, but they make your hands huge, I guess like, "Clown Hands". With the giant hands, you can scoop up leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

Does your Mom have a mower with bag attachment? If so, just mow the leaves and dump the bag into the garbage can.

    Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 2:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I once had one of those mower bags, & my experience was that it was heavy & awkward to handle.

So I became a fan of allowing leaves to compost in place.

They provide immediate insulation against extreme temps & moisture loss, & when they break down, they add nutrients to the soil.

    Bookmark   May 24, 2006 at 8:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You need to check out Port-o-bag and gator rakes! Look up 'leaf scoops' and you will find those things you can put on your hands. There are MANY companies that make trash bag holders. One is Port-A-Bag. I'll bet most of the good gardening tool catalogs have something that will be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 4:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

There are several gadgets available for holding up the bags, but so far, I haven't found the company that made the one I prefer. It's flat [like a tray] with a hinged flap on either side; lightweight, sturdy plastic; folds flat about the thickness of three layers of corrugated cardboard. The size works with 35-gallon and larger bags. It can be stood on end with the bag pulled over the upper edge (good if you like to lift and drop stuff into the open bag) or lay it flat on the ground to hold the bag open and rake leaves directly into it! While I use a lawn vac during heavy leaf fall, and a mower with a bagger for grass clippings, this bag-thingy still gets a lot of use because it is so-o-o convenient to rake right into the bag especially if it's hedge trimmings.

    Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 7:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Well, Meldy....that's not good enough! We want details, girl! Take a picture for us. I (too) am looking for any kind of gadget that makes gardening a bit easier.

    Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 9:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

This is similar but a small one, and I donÂt know anything about the company.

IÂm not the only one who canÂt find it:

and I did look up the funnel design, but all I could find was a patent thingy  says itÂs metal, and I donÂt see the point of having metal.

IÂll keep looking, meanwhile IÂm glad weÂve got a couple months to go before leaves start to fall!

Here is a link that might be useful: leafbag holder

    Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 3:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Another aging mom here. Last year I "mowed" my leaves into the mower catcher and used the chopped leaves for mulch for winter. There sure were enough to go around :-)


    Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 11:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Here is a Lee Valley Tools solution, a cart that is flat to the ground so that leaves can be raked into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low rider Cart

    Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I have a thing-ey that holds a recyclable leaf bag ( we call them city bags because the city will take them for compost). It's a plastic cylinder that holds a bag with a sort of thing like a giant fruit jar filler that snaps on the top and holds the bag firm. Then I have 2 yellow plastic things that look like 12 inch pot lide that I grip to pick up large amounts of leaves and dump them into the bag. When it's full I pop off the "funnel" and lift the tube off the bag, tie and take to the curb.
Works for me....if it weren't raining I would take a picture of it.
Linda C

    Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Buy a Yard Bag Chute at www.yardbagchute.com The Chute is by far the easiest to use and folds flat for ez storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: yard bag chute

    Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Found a product via a newspaper article that had a link to a product called Rake "n" Sweep. This product comes with a reusable garden bag attached that can be used by itself to easily transfer leaves to a garbage bin or you can line their reusable bag with a draw string trash bag and simply remove when full.

They also sell a sister product called BagJaw that is just a triangular frame that you insert into a trash bag. It holds the bag open and gives you a hard dustpan edge for easy raking or sweeping to fill the bag.

I also like that the frame is about 18 inches above the ground so you can lift and move the bag around without having to bend all the way to the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenBag and trash bag holder. The dustpan with a bag attitude

    Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
Newbie question about greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
Sponsored Products
Marietta Door Plaque
$229.00 | FRONTGATE
Zephyr 36W in. Roma Island Range Hood - ZRM-E36CS
Riptide Garbage Disposer - 1/2 Horsepower
Signature Hardware
Double Offset Bowl TruGranite Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Studio 63 Tripod Floor Lamp
Quorum La Maison 28" Wide 6-Light Manchester Grey Chandelier
Lamps Plus
City Scene Mixed Floral 3-piece Comforter Set
Masiero Lighting | Eva Small Table Lamp
$588.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™