Is there a site for 'name that bug or disease'

Cflower(US)May 30, 2005

I've seen a thread here for "name that plant" I would like to know what kind of bugs or diseases my plants may get and how to recognize them. How do I do this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

You can go to the forum which fits your plant type (roses, camellias or whatever) or you could try the Pests & Diseases Forum. But, hopefully you won't need either!

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 7:03PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The Pests and Diseases Forum is also called The Garden Clinic Forum. We are all waiting for new problems to diagnose! You can also visit Integrated Pest Management forum for the best IPM advice, and Organic Gardening for strictly organic remedies for pest problems.

Bookmark   May 30, 2005 at 9:52PM
brown_thumb_in_wa

Rhizo-

What exactly does "Integrated Pest Mangement" mean?

Katrina

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 11:25AM
cg72148_bignet_net

I live in Michigan. Something is eating the leaves of my shasta daisies and geraniums. It is a tiny little round bug. Black and white in color. What can I do and what is it?

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 11:35PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Katrina. Dorie (Rhizo) probably forgot this post or she would have answered your question. IPM is an approach to managing pests wherein the pest monitor (you or I) takes responsibility for considering all appropriate remedies that will keep pest levels and damage within acceptable limits while at the same time considering the impact of remedial actions on the environment. IPM recognizes that total control of any insect species is virtually impossible and expensive to the environment. In order to be effective at IPM, you need to know the relationship of predator species to prey species and how treatments affects the balance. A working knowledge of chemicals and their relative effectiveness in combating different species of pests is necessary as well. Often, you'll find that a simple solution, like blasting pests from your plants with a sharp stream of water is all that is needed to keep pests in check instead of reaching for a can of chemical spray. The concept of IPM doesn't rule out the use of pesticides, but will in most cases use a more environmentally friendly method as the first line of defense, falling back on harsher treatment forms when all other methods of treatment has failed.

In short, IPM integrates multiple forms of treatment and prevention in an attempt to keep predation on plants at a tolerable level. IPM can also extend to other pests like wasps, rabbits, woodchucks, ants, etc.

Al

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 12:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You took the words right out of my mouth, Al! Only they came out better when you say it.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 4:08PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

After 2 weeks, I figured you'd forgotten you posted here. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. ;o)

Al

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
Newbie question about greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
Building House, Bermuda seeding question
Hi I am building a house in Tennessee and was planning...
luderiffic
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Candice Olson Taupe 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Pink Travel Garment Steamer
$19.99 | zulily
Bella Luna Chandelier by Fire Farm
$673.20 | Lumens
Windster H Series Range Hood Ductless Kit - HDK
$55.00 | Hayneedle
Fabbian | Spirito di Venezia Chandelier
YLighting