Plant selection idea needed

dennis_ashworth(Z8 Western WA)May 7, 2006

I have a 3'W x 45'L strip between my driveway apron and a chain link fence. This is an area which receives direct afternoon sun and is habitually wet. Further more, the sun heats the asphalt apron material adjacent to the strip. It's a hot, damp place in the summer! I'm looking for something low (maybe 18"-36"), evergreen and tolerate of the sun and moisture. It needs to be fairly low as my garden is on the other side of the fence and looks inviting, so I don't want to block that view. Some have suggested Japanese barberry, but the ones I have here currently are 3-5 feet tall - too tall for this application.

Anything come to mind????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Myrtle....AKA Vinca Minor....maybe pachysandra....lily of the valley?
But all those things "crawl" and you would have to keep them out of your garden.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 12:09PM
party_music50

How about Euonymus? (Euonymus fortunei `Green and Gold' is gorgeous!). It will take the sun, love the moisture, and is in the shorter end of your preferred height range -- it's also evergreen.

A close-up photo can be seen here: http://www.floriculture.com/images/packtrials2002/Euonymus_GreenGold.jpg

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 12:08AM
party_music50

You might also want to try something like a few 'Purple Gem' dwarf rhododendrons intermixed with 'Green and Gold' euonymus... it would look fabulous in spring when it blooms! :)

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
Overwhelmed
I've dabbled in plants and gardening for a long time,...
randeye
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Where to plant on side yard?
Hi there! I'm planning on building my first raised...
Robin Goodrich
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™