last average frost

joe_dirt(z7nj)February 15, 2006

Hello all,Can someone please tell me the "last average day of frost" for my area. I live in south Jersey,

Mays landing area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joolz(z6 NJ)

I think the general rule of thumb is Mother's Day, middle of May. There's probably a frost map if you Google it.

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 10:38PM
sugar_magnolia(z6 Hamilton, NJ)

CITY / SPRING / FALL
Atlantic City 5/15 9/28
Hammonton 4/25 10/3
Jersey City 4/18 10/19
Millville 4/29 10/10
Newark 4/15 10/26
Newton 5/24 9/19
Shiloh 4/29 10/12
Trenton 4/15 10/23

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 8:33AM
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

Average last frost date can be deceiving because you can still get a frost after that date. For example, I'm close to Newark but April 15 is way too early to plant Impatiens or Tomatoes. My local garden center posts the "safe" date as May 15. I recommend checking with a good, local nursery for the date in your area.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 7:11PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

It might be worth putting out extra or easily replaceable plants early for a head start. Last year I don't remember any frost in April - nothing floating row cover wouldn't have dealt with.

Lisa

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 7:20PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Proximity to cities, water, local topography, your house, and individual microclimates play a major role. Temps during strong radiational cooling can vary by 10 degrees or more over a short distance. Over a period of years, you'll get a feel for your local temperatures and when frost is imminent. You'll get a different feeling when your newly planted impatiens turned to mush!

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 8:20PM
vickster257(Z7aNJ)

Steve, that is so true. There is a microclimate in my small veggie garden situated in between the house and deck--southern exposure. However, my tomato plants go in first on or later than 5/10; and the warmer plants such as pepper, eggplants, green beans follow toward the end of the month. But, there again, it is a matter of common sense if we happen to have colder evenings, certainly one should refrain from setting out plants too early depending upon the temps in your particular setting.

Vicki

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™