does anyone know what this is??

medontdo(8)May 6, 2008

i found this beautiful smelling plant growing in the shade and am so curious what it is!! tyia for looking!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qatrina

Looks like Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata) to me. Serious invader and dominator (dominatrix?) of North American forests. But supposedly you can make pesto out of it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 11:59PM
bubbleoffplumb(z6 NY)

I agree
it's the dreaded garlic mustard!
I see this stuff in my nightmares- I can't tell you how many I've pulled over the past couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info about garlic mustard

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 6:53AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Its a vile weed! Pull it now!

And I am surprised you think it smells nice.. I think it smells nasty.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 10:40AM
maryann_va(z7 VA)

Agree with everyone above. It's an "exotic invasive" - get it out now before the flowers turn to seeds. I was in a beautiful natural area a few weeks ago in the woods of western Virginia and even there it's taken hold amidst the trillium, bleeding hearts, bloodroot and lovely natives. When I first saw it in my yard a couple of years ago, I thought it looked nice & wonderered what it was. Then I learned the truth.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:35PM
medontdo(8)

yep that's what it is! than you so much!! its in the shade, it hasn't moved for years, so i'm wondering if the shade holds it back from spreading? thank you guys sooo much for respnding so fast!! :'))

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:38PM
misskimmie(z4b Central NY)

No, shade does not stop it. Every year I pull lots of Garlic Mustard from my little patch of woods. I compost, but don't put this plant in the compost, instead it goes into a large black garbage bag. The seeds can last of YEARS so it's really hard t o eradicate. It is edible though - put a few leaves on a salad or sandwich.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 3:55PM
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

Agree with everything said so far. But want to add that it is a biennial plant, so even if you only see a few flower stalks, there are loads more of the low-growing first year rosettes waiting for the next year to make a drop seed.

It is a devastating plant. Please control it as best you can.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 7:53PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I agree with everyone who says this is a nasty invasive plant that should be removed. However, I think I agree with medontdo that the smell is not bad - it does smell like garlic, sort of, and if I didn't dislike the plant so strongly I might actually like the smell. As it is, the smell reminds me of the hours I spend removing the stuff, which is not a pleasant memory (except in spots where I seem to have finally outlasted the Garlic Mustard and no new plants appear in the spring).

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 9:22AM
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

ladyslppr, isn;t that funny? About the smell, I mean. My hubby and I were out for a walk at our old road, and the garlic mustard was in full bloom. Everywhere. He said: "It would kind of pretty of I didn;t know what it was." Some things are ugly just because of what and where they are, not necessarily how they look. Or smell.

Bookmark   May 8, 2008 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Cherokee Rose
Does anyone know if the hips from these are edible,...
rosebush
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™