good reference book for identifying non-natives

gibby2015May 19, 2010

I have a few different woodland and prairie/savanna native areas I'm working on. I'm always after the invasives particularly in this savanna area that I just planted from seed last year. Some things I know are non-native invasives but some things I'm not so sure so I'm leaving those. In particular I really need to figure out what grass is good and what is not - I do know which is reed canary grass but not sure about some others.

Does anyone know of a good book with photos to help identify invasives found in Minnesota? I've found some decent books that identify mature native plants but nothing that's got much to help me confirm what's a weed and what's not at this point.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adopt_greyhounds(Zone 4b)

there is a book called "Michigan trees" that shows the invasives as well. Yes, it's MI natives but many would still apply to you. We used it in the field in my woody plants class for landscape architecture.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 8:33AM
gibby2015

Does Michigan Trees have grasses and such or just trees adn woody plants?

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 11:30PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Identification of grasses can be very challenging. It usually requires close examination of the flowers, although some of the more common native prairie grasses can be identified pretty readily once you know what the overall appearance.

A good starter book for grasses and grass-like plants is "Field Guide to the Grasses, Sedges and Rushes of the United States" by Edward Knobel. No photos, just illustrations and it doesn't distinguish between natives and non-natives.

For other plants, something like Peterson's "A Field Guide to Wildflowers : Northeastern and North-Central North America" would be a convenient reference and it does mention which ones have been introduced.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 1:54AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I like the Peterson guides and I would recommend any of those.

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide is wonderful for id'ing flowering plants.

Weeds of the Northern US and Canada by Royer & Dickinson is a nice book that covers many "pest" plants.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™