Starting From Seed

goodground(z6 NJ)March 11, 2006

Is it too late to order seeds? I'm gonna get some strawberry seeds, so I was gonna pick up some of their highly recommended tomatoes. I'm probably gonna order them tonight anyway, but I want to know if I still have time? I have a light indoors if needed to speed them along. This is my second year planting and it will be my first time from seed, so all tips are appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodground(z6 NJ)

Almost forgot, what would be a good pot size for a seed to live for about 2 months without transplanting? Thanks

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 12:42AM
MLcom(z6NJ)

Just starting on the annuals for this year and did tomatoes seeds today. Wow it was nice out today a solid warm day.

ML

Bookmark   March 11, 2006 at 6:12PM
Loretta NJ Z6

No, it's not too late as long as they don't hold up your tomatoes too long. The strawberries are perennial, so that is no problem.

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 9:11PM
sugar_magnolia(z6 Hamilton, NJ)

I think you are suppossed to start in the seed starting trays in the soil-less medium and then transplant to a small container as they grow. It is my first time starting from seeds but this is how I understand it.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 7:52PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

I am going to start my tomatoes in peat pots, nice big ones, tomorrow. My uncle got great results last year with peat pots under lights - he'd set the pots in a tray with dilute fertilizer when he needed to water them.

The old saying was plant them out on Memorial Day, but our springs have been so warm lately that two or three weeks before that makes sense.

Bookmark   March 13, 2006 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™