OT-Time to bring in bird feeders at night

njtea(NJ Z6)March 25, 2006

Bruno visited last night and did a job on my feeders, (as well as a pile of rotting wood). I'd brought in the suet and one tube feeder to keep them out of the coon's reach, but I'll have to start with the others now, too.

This is the earliest that I've ever been hit - normally, it's not until mid-April.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

I usually wish I was way out in the sticks until I think about the bears. I deal with deers in the yard by charging at them and yelling - have to be an utter berserker to do that with a herd of bears.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 10:28AM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Well, I didn't chase him, but I did open the window about 10' from him and scream like an old fishwife. Hopefully, he won't want to have to listen to that again and he'll stay away for a while - although he certainly was in no hurry to get away - he just ambled off.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 10:51AM
Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)

Can't do it NJTea. While I empathasize for you, the dozen or so goldfinch on the thistle feeders are turning. In but 5 short weeks, they'll be the ones bringing in the Rose Breasted Grosbeak to the nearby sunflower feeders (had 8 birds at the feeders for 4-5 days last year).

Hang in there. He's not going to "live off of your feeders". I'd be more inclined to batten down the hatches of your garbage cans.

All good things in all good time.

Ted

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 2:21PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

The goldfinches are enjoying the new thistle sock I had to buy yesterday and interestingly, Ted, through all the bear visits I've had here not once have they ever got into the garbage can.

However, Friday night's visitor was trying to get to the can I keep the sunflower seed in. He was standing on the ground in front of the porch, with his front legs through the railing and wrapped around the can like huge furry arms, trying to pull it to him.

They often traverse the yard and don't touch a thing. I know they've been here 'cause they take out the fence when they go through.

Susie

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 6:38AM
More Discussions
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™