Ok, we covered tool oiling, how about sharpening?

psnave(Z5KS)June 2, 2005

In the spirit of no stupid question -- How do you keep your shovels sharpened? Do you take it somewhere to have it done (like mower blades or sewing scissors?) or is this something I can manage at home?

I'm not new to gardening but have always wondered how much easier my work would be with sharp tools, ha ha.

Patricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I use a rotary grinder because we have them available at work, but you can use a ba$tard file just as well if a grinder isn't available to you. You only sharpen one side of the blade; that would be the part that is away from you while you are digging or the inside of the curved part of a 3-point shovel. It's easiest if you secure the shovel in a vise or have someone hold it for you. Hold the file at 40* angle with the blade & make long, angular strokes, applying medium pressure. The first time is the most difficult. If you get in the habit of cleaning your tools and touching them up with a file each time you use them, it's a lot easier.

Al

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 7:15AM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I just use dull tools......
Linda C

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 10:05AM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

:) I don't sharpen my shovel... but I surely do sharpen my spades, since I spend a LOT of time using them to cut through roots.

and I do the same as tapla- I'm no good at putting a read cutting edge on knives or anything (I leave honing to my husband, and we send our knives back to Wustoff for sharpening once a year) but shovels (and my 'bad' clippers, the one I stick in the dirt and stand on to cut large roots) are easy enough to sharpen.

I'll admit to treating shears as disposable things- I'm always losing them anyway (or they get adopted my people I'm helping) so investing in felco or fiskar pruners two or three times a year is nuts- so I buy the $5 ones, and when they get chewed up, I replace them.

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 10:41AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

The difference between dull and sharp tools is similar to the difference between sitting on a rock or sitting on a feather pillow; hard to describe but you know which is which when you've done it.

I use the file on shovels and hoes -- and I admit I can't remember the proper angle but even the wrong angle is better than dull! Lee Valley has a gadget for sharpening pruner blades, fits over the blade and slide back and forth; it is great! I wish they'd make a similar gadget for angle-impaired folks to use on hoes, etc.

Hey, Al? I've got a miniature rotary grinder [powered by my drill] to sharpen the mower blades -- is that 40-degrees?? Could it be used on the shovel?

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 11:34AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

OMG - You're making fun of me - right? Too precise? ;o) I picked 40* because it's a good working edge for tools that use force. More acute angles seem to dull quicker & wider angles require lots of extra force. I chuckled when I read the question. It's not all that important. ;o)

The rotary grinder I referred to is a very fast rotary tool with a disk shaped wheel on it. It removes lots of material in a big hurry & is different than the tool you described. I think yours would work OK for straight blades, but curved blades would probably have a tendency to bind in the groove, making it more of a chore than it needs to be.

I use it to shovel post hole diggers too.

Cheers.

Al

Bookmark   June 2, 2005 at 3:36PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

At some point in the career of your spade it will develop signs of wear ie a wavy blade on a grand scale. If you don't have a grindstone at home that's coarse enough to take off the surplus, plus a fine one to restore the edge, take it in to a sharpening service to be done.

If you're new to sharpening with a grindstone - start with something that doesn't matter. And ALWAYS use eye protection. ALWAYS, no matter how quick the job is.

Also clean/true the cutting edge of the grinder before it gets that grooved appearance. You'll get a better result.

Cut lightly. If you see the metal turning to a funny shade of blue along the edge - you're pushing too hard (and you've lost the strength in the steel at that point.)

For safety, put your work in a vice - even a carpentry vice will serve at a pinch. If you slip you'll have a nasty cut, possibly stitches, and a refresher on your tetanus injection. The vice is cheaper...

The drill operated grinders can be useful for doing a quick restoration on an edge, but they can also make a mess, depending on how coarse they are. They're great for taking off rivet heads when you need to replace a tool handle. (That's another story...)

Once you've got a decent edge then either Al's ba$tard file (from the way the ridges are placed on the cutting surface) used with a file handle, or a honing stone will keep the edge but will take a LOT of work to remove a major notch.

If you have a lot of roots to cut through then a grubber with a good sharp edge, or a heavy-duty spade specially sharpened to take the impact, will be called for, rather than using a light-weight edging spade.

Sharp tools mean you use less force and less energy. Safer, and not so tiring on a hard job. It's a skill worth learning.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 5:13AM
elgrillo(Z6BTX)

All garden tools I own have a single edge to sharpen. The back edge should be kept flat (like scissors they must mesh with the other blade), and the front edge gets the bevel. I use a stone to flatten the straight side and to keep the bevel of the cutting edge on pruners and scissors. Just a file on the hoe. A grinding wheel takes care of the mower blade and edger, and ALWAYS eye protection and gloves. I have never had to sharpened my spade even though I use it like an ax to cut roots up to 3-4 inches thick; digging keeps it reasonably sharp, but there aren't many rocks in the soil.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 10:36PM
loomis(Z6a Western MA)

Good heavens! I've been doing it wrong all these years. I take a file & sharpen both sides of my spade till it's sharp, like a knife blade. This spade will cut through anything. But, I only sharpen one side on my shears & clippers. Sure makes work go faster when everything's sharp.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
New home with huge garden space - what to plant?
We are moving into our new home this weekend. The...
Nicole Mott
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) use near plants and soil?
Hi all, painting my entrance way which has a small...
chickenschwarma
Sponsored Products
Parkdale Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Sconce
$99.00 | Bellacor
Peer Chaise Outdoor Patio Set of 4 in Brown Red
$1,099.00 | LexMod
RainShield Outdoor Coffee Table Cover
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Twin Quilt 66" x 86" - CORAL
$155.00 | Horchow
Frosted Lemon Spatula
$6.99 | zulily
Colonial Mills Valencia Roasted Chestnut 12 ft. x 15 ft. Braided Area Rug VL84R1
Home Depot
Turquoise Triangle Tray
$47.99 | Dot & Bo
EAGO BA351 18'' White Round Porcelain Bathroom Sink Basin without Overflow
$119.00 | Blue Bath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™