Meaning

opsy135June 18, 2014

Native Plants is a term to describe plants endemic (indigenous) or naturalized to a given area in geologic time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

Some would question that part of this definition which holds that species which have become naturalized in a given area can become "native". There's shades of gray here. For example, something like water lettuce, which has been in S. Florida since the 1500s has "become" native in some people's minds, although it got there courtesy of Spanish explorers-just a long time ago.

And then there's the simple, yet oft-ignored fact that nature isn't static. Even without human interference, species have moved to and colonized new areas for millions of years. I'm reminded of the formation of new volcanic islands off the coast of SE Alaska. Featuring fertile soil and a blank slate so far as vegetation is concerned, such locations have been known to get colonized by coniferous tree species very readily. Should we decry this because the "native" condition was one of bare rock and ashy soil? I think most would agree, no we should not. There are tougher examples out there than this one though.

+oM

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™