Highway fence with conifers

rgjac(6)February 9, 2012

My house has the backyard facing a highway; I would like to create a visual barrier that hopefully would work also as a sound barrier, although I'm aware that it may not work very well for that purpose. I would like to use some kind of tall (that reach over 16ft high) but thick trees that, planted side-by-side, would completely -- starting from the ground if possible -- block the view, and that would be green year-round (I live in CT, so I think it needs to be some kind of conifer.) The biggest problem is it's going to be a very long fence and I need it to be cheap, so I'm considering even planting seeds. Any suggestions on kinds of plants, where to buy seeds or small trees cheap? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leslie6ri

We planted a line of Leyland cypresses (Cupressocyparis leylandii) to give us a large area of privacy. They grow very fast, 3-5 feet per year, and VERY tall, (50+ feet?), but can be trimmed. I like the look of them. There are some postives and negatives mentioned in the following article. Here's a link:

http://landscaping.about.com/od/evergreenornamentaltrees1/p/leyland_cypress.htm

Thuja 'Green Giant' is another popular evergreen for screening. It's an arborvitae.

Not sure where to buy. Maybe Musser Forests?

http://www.musserforests.com/

Leslie

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:55AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Try Great Garden Plants. You can get 3 foot tall Green Giant plants in gallon containers at a reasonable price. If you want to go smaller you can get 4" tall plants for $5 at a number of other places. GGP will also give you good instructions and a guarantee on all of their plants sold.

Steve

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:24PM
rgjac(6)

Thanks Leslie, I think Thuja "Green Giant" was what I had in mind. I also found that one type of bamboo would be a good fit, but for what I read I'm not so sure it stands the winter here. I'll try to find the place with the best price when I'm ready to work on this.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™