Just Bought A Home-How To Grow Nice Green Grass??

trendtherapyMarch 1, 2011

This may sound silly but my husband and i just bought our first home. We were always in apartments so never had to worry about landscaping so the question is what and how to grow nice green grass? Should I be prepping now for spring etc? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JArnold(z6NJ)

The quickest way to a nice green lawn is sod. However, in my first house, the builder planted grass seed and with care we had the greenest lawn on the street!

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 1:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie_nj(z6b)

First you need to define what your expectations of your grass.
Golf-lawn - expect to pay alot every year for various chemicals, the time to apply them throughout the year, and water weekly. Of course the first major drought will kill the grass and you will need to start all over.
Weed-lawn - no time or expense, and they thrive in a drought.
Nice green organic lawn - The organic forum should have a nice faq about this, but in general you only have to mow to 3-4 inches (instead of the 1-2 inches in the golf-lawn). The look is a bit like a shag rug, but it is very green, very thick, and does not take much care or expense.

True story - our neighbor had a beautiful shaggy grass lawn. They sold, and the new owners mowed it 1-2 inches. The lawn just about died. It still looks terrible, even though the new owners try all sorts of expensive treatments.

Me personally, I don't have the time or the money, so we pretty much have a weed lawn, and try to keep it at 3". The lawn is not a priority for me. But you need to decide for yourselves what you want.

Zoysia grass is an option, if you don't mind the brown in the winter.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?
This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there...
redsun9
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™