New and like advice please

luv2dig(Texas)June 15, 2005

I'm new and just started to plant/garden.. My question is: I pulled up 2 big Hibiscus trees that were on each side of our flowerbeds by front door. My hubby would like to find something tall again~ perhaps, spiral bushes??? I would like to post pics but, don't know how.. If someone could help that way I can explain it better. On one side of the flowerbed the prev owners have a big bush and some staggly looking bushes that look horrible. (don't know names) But, I'm just trying to focus on one bed at a time ya know?? so far, I have planted 3 Dwarf hollyberry bushes and in between begonias~ and an Oleander in the middle. I think I need something else but, hubby doesn't want alot of different flowers. He says there needs to be Balance. Help???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luv2dig(Texas)

Ok~ i think I posted a pic.. This is the front of our house and need ideas for the right flowerbed and what to put on either side of front door.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 10:29AM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

You might try the design forum.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 10:50AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

You've got a very attractive front door. Before you plant too close to it you might want to consider making a much bigger welcoming entry with paving and such so that family groups can gather before they enter your house. A 'grand welcome'.

Also think safety - so the entry remains open to view and any paving you put down doesn't get the chance to grow a winter surface of algae.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 7:09PM
lisa455(z9 LA)

I need to know what USDA zone you are in to recommend shrubs for you and also if the location gets morning or afternoon sun or is it mostly shady. For example, only a few types of oleander are hardy here in Coastal Louisiana.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 7:01PM
Dancey(Zone 8b Texas)

It looks like the shrub by the shovel might be a Mexican Sage bush. If it is it will have lots of lavendar colored flowers on it. They are very drought tolerant.

Where in Texas are you? Zone?

Dancey

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 8:10PM
dmj1218(9a West Houston)

Here's alink for you; post it there and you'll get a million ideas...also Texas is a big place, tell us the area!
:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Forum

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 9:39PM
krstncuneo_aol_com

What are the best "full sun" plants/flowers to plant? The front of my house is like a kiln from 9am-1pm. Thx.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 8:33PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

I agree, post on the Texas Forum---it's a real down-home friendly place! And here's a link to a Zone Map so you can figure out what zone you're in.

Good luck,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Zone Map

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™