Jasmine in NJ?

doofusMarch 30, 2009

Hello!

I'd love to plant and grow fragrant jasmine around the property, but somebody told me, NJ weather is too harsh for the multi-year jasmine varieties...

Is that really true, or is there a frost-resistant strand I can buy, that would smell good for most of the summer and survive the winter?

Thanks a lot!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smord

There is somethign called "winter jasmine" (Jasminum nudiflorum) that is hardy to zone 6, although I have no experience with it. Try Brushwood Nursery http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/

I have no experience buying from them, but they answered my questions pretty quickly, they have good reviews on Daves Garden, and they are based in Pennsylvania so they probably have a pretty good idea of what would survive a NJ winter.

-Sarah zone 6 (Morris County)

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 12:00PM
inguvap(z6 NJ)

Jasmin Officianale (I hope that the spelling is right). I have this plant and it grows vigorously and I can give you a plant if you are interested. I have had this for 4 years now and It's scent is heavenly.
Padma.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 4:27PM
tinylady(07 NJ)

Do you know about growing heather in NJ. I saw it at a nursery and was wondering about it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2009 at 9:19AM
steve_nj(7-a)

The yellow foliaged Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise'(also called 'Frojas') does well for me outdoors. I'll have a rooted plant or 2 at the swap on May 3rd, as well as 2 varieties of Jasminum nudiflorum with variegated foliage which I've propagated.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 7:24AM
tinylady(07 NJ)

Does anyone know about planting heather? Or the other name is Heath? The man at the nursurey said it was what they grow in Nj, but I can't find anyone else growing it.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 7:44AM
shanthipavan

hi can anyone give me jasmine, rose ,hibiscus or rose plants

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 2:13AM
steve_nj(7-a)

Heaths and heathers do well in sun and well-drained soil. Sandy loam is ideal. Use google for mailorder sources.

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 4:10PM
doofus

Alright, so I bought a "Poet's Jasmine" (Jasminum Officinale) plant via Amazon here and it arrived hale and healthy and has already grown 30-40% bigger in the box it was shipped in while I'm waiting for the weather to warm up outside to plant it.

Would it make sense, however, to grow it in a (large) container instead? How big would its root-system want to become? I'd like to use a bowl or even a cask of some kind, so I can move the plant later and, perhaps, even take it into the garage November-March to help it survive the winter...

Any comments? Thanks! Yours,
doofus

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 2:14PM
vikireed

I bought a winter jasmine, looked at it's leaves thinking it reminded me of something...did more research and realized that this is a plant that will only show small flowers for a short odd season and it is very invasive, like forsythia and burning bush. YOu're basically giving up yard real estate to it's sucker system forever if you stick this in the ground. I wouldn't do it if you don't have reams of property to play with.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:09AM
steve_nj(7-a)

Jasminum nudiflorum does bend down and root/layer itself. However, it's much more graceful than Forsythia. It hasn't been invasive for me. It flowers quite early, even in January or February of mild winters. There are also 2 variegated foliaged forms which do well for me.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 9:31PM
shelby_nj

Have you planted Jasmine outdoors? I have two jasmine plants that I bought 4 years back from Home Depot. Summer I put them outside. They bloom profusely around July. But in the winter I have to take it inside. what fertilizer do we add? Also where can I get fragrant winter jasmine that I can plant outside? I am in Morris county.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Leland Cypress Hedge in Northern NJ?
Hi All - Any suggestions for planting a barrier hedge...
soulbird17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™