Garden hose questions

violetwestJune 7, 2013

so, I bought a hose . . . my first! I had to look on YouTube to figure out how to coil it, I'm such a newbie! My questions:

First, my hose leaks from the connection to the faucet when it's on. It leaks a lot, and we're in a desert, so I am wasting water. Am I doing something wrong? I'm sure it's screwed on pretty well, but I kind of don't want to screw it on as tight as I possibly could, because I'm afraid I won't be able to unscrew it.

Also, when turning it off, it briefly sprays a lot of water from the connection, but a friend of mine told me, "it's supposed to do that." Is that correct?

I'm also worried about water from the hose damaging my stucco exterior (from the leaking/shutting off). Is there anything I can do to protect the exterior wall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

There should be a rubber/plastic/silicone washer in the female end of the hose. If there isn't one, or if it's not too good, which seems like the case, go to a hardware store and get a couple rubber washers. They usually come several to a package and cost a couple of bucks. It sounds like you've got pretty strong water pressure, so try not turning the spigot on full blast.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:35PM
violetwest

Hmm -- I'll have to look at it for the washer. It's a brand new hose, good quality so not sure why that would be an issue. And it does leak when turned on as a "trickle" too.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 3:22PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The washer is supposed to come with the hose but sometimes comes loose and is lost.

Other times, the washer is somewhat stiff so doesn't do the job it should.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
succulent plant needs help! yellow leaves and bending
Hi i was hoping someone could help me figure out what...
bcactus123
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™