Yellow mold on top of my mulch?

jizaref(5)June 24, 2005

I am a new homeowner and therefore new to gardening. This is my first spring in our house. We have mulch covering a number of flower bed on our backyard. One day, after a heavy rain, I noticed a moist yellow pile laying on top of some of the mulch. My first though was that some mammal (a racoon or skunk) had gotten sick adn thrown up. After a day the moist yellow curd became a slightly puff orange/peach colored mass, then became grey and wilted. After later rains, a few more yellow "piles" have appeared, gone through these changes, and wilted.

I suspected this is some kind of fungus or mold. Could this have been placed as part of the hemlock mulch I used? Should something be done about it? If so, what would you suggest? Will this hurt my flower and shrubs in the area?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Currently being discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try here

Bookmark   June 24, 2005 at 4:36PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Sounds like a slime mold...one of nature's decomposers.

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 3:34PM
tkcrn_hotmail_com

I recently have found the same bright yellow mold on my mulch in my flower beds. i have never seen any thing like it before. i took pictures of it and have showed it to many people and they haven't either. i have had 4 piles of it and it keeps coming back in different places. if you find out what it is, please let me know. thank you.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 10:39PM
jzaref_post_harvard_edu

I since found out it is yellow slime mold, called (appropriately) by some the dog vomit fungus.

Gross, but totally harmless.

Scientific name: fuligo septica.

Here are a few good web pages:

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/june99.html

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm

When I first saw it, I thought my landscapers had put down contaminated mulch. Not true, it just happens, especially in wet damp weather.

Good luck!

Jeff

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 6:45AM
dgmarie

I've got it, too. New hardwood mulch. Some orange, some yellow and some black. It goes away eventually.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 5:12PM
Ktb815_sbcglobal_net

I have just had this type of mold. I've been using all types of mulch at my home in Indianapolis, IN. and have never had this. But my home I'm working on up north about 50 miles around Nobelsville had just grown this type of mold and it was a fresh supply that we had just got at the end of July. When I went to clean it up, It gave a fine brown dust that wouldn't absorb water nor would water knock down the dust. A'm I still talking about the same kind of mold?

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 11:34PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Probably. You've seen the images, you can decide best. The fine brown dust particles are spores. ;-) Remember...not to worry.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 11:18AM
spoongebob16_yahoo_com

I work at a daycare where this same type of mold is appearing on an almost daily basis. So I read on one of the follow-ups that it is not harmful, but my question is if this would affect people with mold allergies?

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 9:30PM
cartison2_aol_com

I have a bright yellowish, orange mold on top of my mulch pile. It has black holes in it and some kind of black liquid weeping out of the black holes!! It is scary. Could anybody help me and tell me what it is and if it is dangerous. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 7:09PM
samtheman_yhoo_com

Wear gloves and a mask and scoop out with a shovel. Mix one quarter cup bleach and about one and three quarter cups water mixture and pore it on where the mold was and where the spores still may be. In other words ....remove and kill :B

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 3:13AM

Please don't pour bleach into the soil. You have one of the stinkhorn fungi, not dangerous, and simply requires removal of the fruiting body with your shovel. Attempting to sterilize the area with bleach is futile...and bad for the soil.

Keep your eyes open for more of these mushrooms and remove them before they get to the point you've seen this one. Spores are located in that slime. The actual fungal organism is an expansive net work of mycelium and hyphae located in the soil and mulch layer, busy at work decomposing organic matter. Stinkhorns of many different kinds are almost always found in the mulch. Breaking mulch down into the good stuff that plants can benefit from is the 'job' of saprophytic fungi.

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:33PM
cjchasse_charter_net

I have the fungus growing on my plants. Is this dangerous for eating and should the plant be destroyed.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:06PM
erikabear

I just want to reiterate that this slime mold is harmless. Gross, but harmless. Just think if it as the Blob and smile.

I've included a link that has information about their biology. Did you know that the whole thing you see is a single cell?

Fungi are really important to your garden. Yes, a few make your plants sick, but many, many more help build soil, provide nutrients to your plants, and one type (mycorrhizae) have a symbiotic relationship with 95% of plants that makes them grow better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slime Mold facts

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 11:28AM
dirt_cred(4)

Why do people keep posting questions without reading the thread (which answers their questions) first? (I read the whole thread and it doesn't answer this question.)

AND I came here because I found a yellow dog vomit slime mold on the compost pile today & wanted to verify. Very cool stuff.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 11:39PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Truly a question for the ages...!

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:57AM

I'd personally like to thank dirt for dredging up this ancient thread, lol.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) use near plants and soil?
Hi all, painting my entrance way which has a small...
chickenschwarma
Overwhelmed
I've dabbled in plants and gardening for a long time,...
randeye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™