Another gardening day today!

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)February 9, 2010

It's a nice day here so I got out for about an hour. Great time to rake out the beds, since the crocus and daffodil shoots are still really short and not above the mulch. And, with the ground still frozen, great time to get under the camellias and other things to rake out the late leaves and other winter debris. There was a lot to rake up under the holly tree! A lot of leaves and berries. Looks so much better now. Too bad it will be covered in white tomorrow! Still....I feel like I have started spring cleanup!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Bill, You were right and the weather was sunny and sort of warm (40?) briefly; and now I regret not driving down to RI from our MA place, to start the cleanup. However, in town here, I did manage to prune my 2 roses and winter-sow Love-in-a-Mist and Bachelor's Buttons. So now, let it snow!

Carol

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 4:52PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Carol I wanted to prune my climbing rose but it will have to wait. There really won't be much to it. It has just a few larger canes.

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 6:27PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Today was a gorgeous day! I kept thinking how odd it was that it was so beautiful and tomorrow we will supposedly have over a foot of snow!

Unfortunately, I had to work, so I only had about a half hour to go around and make sure things were battened down for the storm tomorrow. I took a walk around the yard and kept thinking how nice it would have been to clean up some old foliage and to put down some shredded leaves, and I stood and stared for awhile trying to decide whether I was looking at mole/vole holes, deer/animal prints, or frost-heave. I finally decided I didn't know, couldn't do anything about it today, sighed, and went inside, bringing a rock-solid frozen bag of potting mix in with me to thaw. I'm hoping to do some winter-sowing tomorrow, after shoveling.

I'm glad someone was out enjoying this nice day today. Hoping there are more to come... soon!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 9:49PM
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Watch out, you codcoast and south coast guys! I see that 15" of snow is expected in Providence, and also winds up to 50 mph on the Cape.

Carol

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 7:37AM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Oh yes (dare I say ayah?),

NWS Storm Total Snow Forecast

and winds (what good is a storm without winds?)

Claire

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™