lupins transplant

clairdo2(3)June 26, 2007

I dug up wild lupins on the side of the road and planted them in my yard. They have flowers on them. should I cut them down.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I would think anything to decrease the stress on the transplants would help. So, I would cut the flowers off and let the plants concentrate energies on new roots.

Martha

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 1:08PM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Lupins dislike transplanting especially this time of year. Better to do it in spring or fall. Or collect seeds and plant. Most "wild" lupins are garden escapes not native plants.

You do know it is illegal to dig up plants without permission from the landowner. That includes plants at the side of the road.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 4:38PM
dragonfly_dance(z7 SENJ)

It is also very unethical where native plants are concerned. It contributes to population decline. If they dont' make it, that is a few less lupines around. If you want these plants, please buy them from a responsible grower (check them out, there are a fair share of wildflower "nurseries than dig wild and sell them, stay away) or collect the seeds and grow them. Remember that native plants are often hosts plants to many wildlife species so they should remain where they are.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™