Question about tomato seedlings

atlantisflygirl(6b)June 18, 2014

Hi all -

I searched the forum and found a lot about tomato seedlings, but nothing that really answered my questions. My mom gave me some tomato seedlings that she sowed right around Mother's Day (which is wildly late, right?). They've sprouted, but they don't seem to be growing! I am a total garden newbie, so I don't know how fast tomato seedlings are supposed to grow.

Additionally, I was afraid they weren't getting enough sun so I put them outside underneath the top of a cake stand propped up on on bricks as shown in the pic. I'd say they get about 7 hrs of sun a day that's sort of broken up by the shadows of the porch railing. Is that okay?

And finally, most of the babies have their first set of true leaves but none of them are looking very green. They're not *yellow* but they're heading that way. (You can sorta see that in the pic, too.) Am I overwatering?

That's for your help!

Natalie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I've some thoughts but you might prefer Gardenweb - Growing Tomatoes

I would say perhaps not to late but get rid of the cake pan and them into their final growing soil soon. Note that I am a risk taker so you may want to be more cautious.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 4:07PM
atlantisflygirl(6b)

Thanks Albert for the advice and the link to the tomato forum! I think I'll put the hardiest ones in their permanent home and see how it goes.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 6:00PM
Weicker(6a PA)

I had a bunch of seedlings struggling like this... teeeeeeeeny tiny (under a centimeter) first leaves, but just sort of stalled at that stage. I potted some up, into 4-5" plastic pots, 1 seedling per pot. Within a week, they'd grown a good inch and a half and had at least 2 sets of decenty sized true leaves.

The ones kept in smaller pea pots did better for me once I wrapped the pots in saran wrap. I think inconsistent moisture was an issue.

I'm also in 6b... you defnitely don't need to cover them at this point.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™