Yank Lupine and Poppies?

raymondo17(z9 Sacramento)June 20, 2008

I planted some Lupine and Poppies and other California native flowers in an area that receives no irrigation besides winter rains and the occasional drink of water from a neighbor. The plants put on a lovely spring show but are now dried up. Should they be yanked out? Are Lupine and Poppies annuals or perennials? Any suggestions for plants to replace them in that spot for the summer?

-Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

If you planted locally native plants in the right conditions they should come back next year. At any rate, I wouldn't yank them, against the possibility that they have just gone dormant for the dry, hot season. Wait and see, wait and see...

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 2:12PM
kelpmermaid(10S24)

The poppies are annuals, and they are very good at self-seeding. I cleaned mine out - they just get really ratty looking towards the end. They'll be back next year, I'm sure.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 8:42PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

The poppies don't have to be yanked out, but you can pull them if they are dead. Some poppies are annuals, which bloom, set seeds, then completely die each year, but others are, I think perennial, so if some of the poppies have green leaves, even if just at the base, I would leave them. You could trim them back to the base to make them look neater, if you like. I am not sure about the lupines - there are many types.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 12:53PM
lemecdutex(z15 CA Petaluma)

If they're shrubby lupines, then they're perennial, if they were not shrubby, then they could be perennial or annual. You might do a google search on lupines to see which kind(s) you have. The seed pods spring open and send the seeds flying. If you've got a kind that's happy with your spot, you should have lots of them come up every year, as long as they don't meet public enemies #1 & #2, slug/snails and gophers.

Some california poppies can be short-lived perennials (2 or 3 years), and prickly poppies can be either annual or perennial, but most are annual (especially in wildflower mixes).

--Ron

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 1:43AM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

If you have perrenial lupine, cut them back after blossoming. You can potentially get a second flush of blossoms. I cut mine back quite a bit, and the foliage is growing out nicely.

I grow several types of poppy. The oriental poppy die back after blossoming and leave a hole in the garden. I cut them at the base and they do come back next year. Plant annuals around them to fill in the area.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™