Wanted: vigorous and sweet-smelling native creeper

greentreeteaJune 20, 2012

Hi,

I am looking for a vigorous and sweet-smelling native creeper to plant next to our deck to cover it eventually. Flower size, shape and color don't really matter too much - quick growth and sweet blooms are my primary concerns.

What are my options (if any) or would I be better off going for a non-native plant in this regard?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

The commercial Honeysuckle vines come to mind. They seem to use native stock, are vigorous, and have spectacular blooms.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 6:21PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

The sempervirens cultivars that I've run into (including the one I have)have no scent, though. They're great, covered with flowers for months, but no sweet honeysuckle smell - you only get that with the thuggish Japanese honeysuckle. I used to have dioica (sp?), and that had a slight smell, but no repeat bloom. Canandensis is shrubby and has no or little scent. Anyone grow the others?

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:35PM
greentreetea

Thanks for the replies. I will do some checking around the nurseries in my area.

As a complete aside: will Jasmine grow in my area?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:06AM
kaliaman

Did you say what area you are in?

Are you asking about true jasmine or carolina jasmine et al?

Carolina Jasmine is not a true jasmine (is a Gelsemium instead) and the flower nectar is toxic to bees, not recommended as our bees are already in trouble!

Autumn clematis is one of my favorites (C. paniculata is a nice sweet smelling non toxic viney plant with lovely white flowers late summer-fall in most areas of the country)

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 4:37PM
Carrie B

Clematis terniflora (Sweet autumn clematis) is a non-native. It is also invasive in many areas, including my own.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 6:40AM
esh_ga

Carolina Jasmine is not a true jasmine (is a Gelsemium instead) and the flower nectar is toxic to bees

I believe the correct description is toxic to HONEY bees which are non-native bees. It is not toxic to native bees who evolved with it.

And even the honey bees are only affected in mostly small amounts unless they happen to take it back to the hive.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:14AM
kaliaman

Commercial honeybees are hybrids, usually based on Italian strains ie, not native.

Most nectar is carried back to the hive.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:21AM
kelp

How about phlox divaricata? It smells great, (esp. 'Blue Moon') and spreads reasonably quickly.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™