Squash - when to pick it??

Satch(z5 PA)June 27, 2005

I am a first time gardener and bought a squash plant. It is producing a yellow crooknecked vegetable with very bumpy skin. Am I waiting too long to pick this? The skin was not edible at all!!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elgrillo(Z6BTX)

Yellow squash gets harder as it grows, and it grows very fast. About 8" long by 3" to 4" in diameter is about the maximum size for it to be tender enough to eat; we usually pick it before it gets that large. You will learn quickly by looking and feeling the squash if it is nearing that point when it will be too hard to slice or eat.

The crookedneck squash with bumps tends to be a little harder than the straight-neck, but that shouldn't matter.

Don't be afraid to pick it at different sizes/stages just to see what works best for you. As long as you keep your squash plants watered, they will grow more squashes to eat. Just be a little careful to not damage the plants when you harvest. The leaf stems are somewhat fragile.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 7:07PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Gourmet-style is to pick it at about 3 to 4", even bumpy squash are quite tender when that young. As a rule of thumb, use your fingernail to press gently a half-inch below the stem. If you can make an indent, it's tender enough to use skin and all, otherwise plan to peel and remove the seeds to roast separately.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 7:48AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yes, pick it tiny! The bumpy yellow crookneck gets so seedy even when under 8 inches. I wouldn't touch it unless 5 inches or less. At that size, they are tender and nutty in flavor.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™