Need help with ID for a Wild Radish?

raydun(z5 NH)June 22, 2009

Hello again,

The plant on the right in the picture I assume to be a wild radish, Raphanus raphanistrum. It's growing in a field in a little group of at least five wild radishes with one other plant, the one that is on the left in the picture. The oddball has basically the same flower, but the buds aren't as prickly and don't have the reddishness to them, and the leaf is completely wrong. I'm aware that there are some other Raphanus sub species but I have no clue if this plant may be one of them. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much,

Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raydun(z5 NH)

I checked up on the plant yesterday afternoon, as we had a brief respite from our rainy season, and there are no changes in it's leaf shape. The plant is noticeably shorter than the rest, from 8-10 inches, and the largest leaves still have only one smaller lobe on each side.

There are a pair of drawings of R. raphanistrum at
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/detail.asp?SpCode=RAPRAP which show that the largest leaves can have only two small lobes on each side, so I'm going to label the plant just an ordinary Wild Radish and call it quits.

I was hoping, of course, to add another plant to my growing collection of wildflower pics, but I think it's not to be. If you'd like to see what I have so far, the pics are posted on my website at http://www.worldpath.net/~raydun/plant-pics.htm.

Thanks to all for your attempts to ID this plant, but there's no worry, I've already lined up the next mystery plant and will post it soon.

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 7:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
otazca

where can I get wild radish seeds(Raphanus raphanistrum)??
My email:otazca@gmail.com
thank you..

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™