Can this plant be saved?

julia_123(zone5/Indiana)June 18, 2005

I love creeping jenny and finally bought a big pot of it at a garden center last week...left it outside (still in the pot). We had several days of rain so I knew I didn't have to worry about watering it...then we had a couple of days of moderate, sunny days. I had forgotten about the creeping jenny, and then when I went outside during the 2nd day, it looked completely shriveled up. Argh! I took it inside, doused it in water, and cut off the dry, crispy tendrils. They were still a little soft inside, not completely dried out - now I have it on a windowsill. Can plants that have been accidently crisped be brought back to life? Actually, it's not only the creeping jenny...lots of times I see seemingly dried up, dead plants and wonder if they can be nursed back to live. Ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. Creeping Jenny might make it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 7:47PM
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado

Hi Julia,

Whether or not it can be saved depends on just how dry the roots got, but from what you've described, it sounds like it will probably make it. Creeping Jenny (it is Lysimachia nummularia that you have, isn't it?) can actually be grown as a water plant, so I'd recommend that you keep the saucer under it filled with water until it recovers. But don't do this with other things trying to save them! Too much water will kill most things very, very quickly, and do far more damage than too little water. To be sure what you have, here's a link to pictures and info about both the green and gold varieties of L.n. When you plant it in the ground, it prefers more shade than sun, but if you plant it in sun and keep it really, really wet it should be ok too---just be sure you don't keep the other things around it too wet too. When planted near a pond, the trailing stems of this stuff will actually grow out onto the water and float on it--it can be real pretty.

Regarding other "seemingly dead" plants, it just depends on what the plant is and why it looks dead! If it's just been underwatered like yours, there's a fairly good chance many can be saved---again, depending on how dry the roots got. If it's been overwatered, the chances of saving it are greatly decreased.

Good luck,
Welcome to GardenWeb, and
Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Lysimachia nummularia, Creeping Jenny

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 8:07PM
julia_123(zone5/Indiana)

Thanks for your advice. I've got her in a little saucer of water...we'll see if she makes it! :) If not...lesson learned!

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
Building House, Bermuda seeding question
Hi I am building a house in Tennessee and was planning...
luderiffic
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Trisodium phosphate (TSP) use near plants and soil?
Hi all, painting my entrance way which has a small...
chickenschwarma
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
Sponsored Products
e-nrg Bioethanol Fuel by EcoSmart Fire
$69.00 | Lumens
John Louis Deep Woodcrest Stand Alone 16-inch Tower Kit
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Mandarin Brown and Terra 4' 6" x 6' 6" Oval
$77.99 | Home Depot
Artisan Handmade Copper Brown Sprinkler
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Canterbury Arbor - 54" Opening
Fifthroom.com