What Wildflower Is This?

JOSydzyikJune 13, 2013

I took this flower from a pasture in southern Nebraska. It had yellow blossoms, but I cannot remember them in any detail. It over-wintered and is doing quite well...in fact it is spreading very well. Can anyone tell me what it is? I have been through a lot of books and have not been able to identify it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Looks like a type of Solidago, known as goldenrod. There are many species including a few aggressive ones.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 4:48PM
JOSydzyik

I did take a goldenrod at the same time. I have included a picture of that which is next to the bunch of mystery plant. The leaves of the goldenrod look longer and a little different to me. Do you think these plants are both goldenrod?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:06PM
RugbyHukr(23)

Solidago canadensis & a long leaf variety maybe Solidago graminifolia.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 2:49PM
JOSydzyik

Should I be worried about these prairie freebies? I have this in a bed that gets lots of sun and heat. I have it planted with purple coneflowers, sedum, monarda, yarrow, day lilies, and tango lilies. Will it try to crowd out the other flowers? I have always wanted a golden rod to add to my native plants, but maybe I should have spent the money to get one that is made to be less invasive. I have seen pictures of what some of the golden rods can do and frankly I am a little worried.

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 10:32AM
esh_ga

Solidago canadensis, the one with the longer leaves, will really spread. Not sure about the other one.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:00AM
RugbyHukr(23)

Solidago canadensis

Here is a link that might be useful: Solidago canadensis

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 9:43AM
JOSydzyik

Thank you to everyone for enlightening me on the various aspects of goldenrod. The web site was very helpful. I have my Canada goldenrod planted in slightly heavy clay soil so it should clump quite nicely. Not sure if I should remove it or keep it. Not to mention the unknown variety next to it. The only plant companions I am worried about are the Tango Lilies. I started this garden in a very hot sunny spot to attract bees and butterflies. The Sedum attracts the bees and the monarda and coneflowers do the rest of the work. So I guess I could always move the lilies if need be. I am leaning toward keeping it and watching nature unfold.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:21AM
dandy_line(3B (Brainerd, Mn))

Day lillies are not native and can over run your garden in a short time. Since this is the Native plants forum, you should probably look into alternatives. Personally, I find Day lillies to be too bland in a landscape filled with natives.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:53PM
JOSydzyik

You are probably correct. The day lilies and Asiatic lilies gave me color in the hottest time of summer. I have since added prairie onion, obedient plant, common spiderwort and chamomile to the mix so I should have more color without the lilies support. My only problem is that I am running short of ground. I cannot dig up any more lawn so I have little to no space in other established beds. I cannot toss away a plant and none of my neighbors want to take the time to plant them so I am stuck moving them around my limited space.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:17AM
bob_71(z7 MD)

Goldenrod blooms in the fall and offers a welcome feast for all types of pollinators. When they are in bloom, it is difficult to shoot a photo without capturing multiple insects. I encourage you to hold on to the plants until you go through the bloom period this fall!

Bob

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:29PM
JOSydzyik

Thanks for the advice. I am leaving the plants in place for now. It is a wildflower garden and so the goldenrod is appropriate. Besides....I hate to kill plants. Looking forward to the fall bloom. It should give the insects a nice variety in addition to the fall blooming sedum.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™