starting my tomatoes

royy(Z7)March 10, 2008

I am starting my Ramapo seeds that I got from Rutgers. I figure I should be ready by the begining of May if I start them now.

Roy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njtea(NJ Z6)

I need to hold off another week or two and it's driving me nuts! Due to an extremely kind member of the GW, I now have several Oxhart varities as well as Ramapos. I'm chafing at the bit to get started.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 6:36PM
vickster257(Z7aNJ)

Do you grow the Rutgers variety of tomatoes? I have never tried this particular one which is an old variety but bought it at the Philadelphia flower show recently. Most of my seeds are Heirlooms but this one caught my eye. Please comment if you have any experience with it. I planted a few to try them out for the first time. Thanks

Vicki

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 10:35AM
agardenstateof_mind

Vicki, I tried two Rutgers tomato plants last year and found them to have exceptionally strong, stocky stems. Alas, production was very limited due to disease that tore through my entire garden like wildfire and a groundhog with a characteristically voracious appetite.

Although I do wonder ... was it really the groundhog that was taking just one or two bites out of each tomato and leaving the rest?

I do feel they are worth another try and wish you success with yours this year.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 3:02PM
More Discussions
Cold Hardy Palm Trees In New Jersey
There are a few varieties of cold hardy palm trees...
elman23
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
Unusual Temperature in December
60 F or so. It is warm.... Feels nice, but may not...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™