Growing conditions for Rattlesnake Master?

maryliz(5b/SE lower MI)June 26, 2006

Hi, I'm not a regular on this particular forum, but I wonder if some of you will help me out. I just received a Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccifolium) plant, and I have been online looking for its preferred growing conditions. The advice has been all over the map.

I have poor, dry, sandy soil that drains like a dream. Lavender and dianthus grow well here. I have set up a few lasagna beds for plants that require richer soil.

Based on the appearance (spiky, fat leaves) Rattlesnake Master likes blazing hot FULL sun. I think I got that part figured out.

How rich should the soil be? What about moisture? I have read a lot of conflicting information.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Hi Maryliz

You're thinking about this way too much, LOL! Since RM is a prairie plant, assume that it's IDEAL situation is full sun and well drained soil. But really, I have it in a mesic(which is average to slightly moist soil)situation, a dry situation, and a dry clay-ish area. They're all doing fine. I think that it's pretty adaptable to most soil conditions as long as it's in full sun, though I think it really wouldn't like wet soil. These plants are very drought tolerant. The first year, treat it like any other perennial. April

Bookmark   June 26, 2006 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Redring Milkweed seed availability for 2014
Hi Folks, I received seed of Asclepias variegata (Redring...
wildflowerman_2000
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™