I thought I was beating the garlic mustard

birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)April 9, 2006

Six springs I have been pulling, spraying, mowing before it seeds and I was gaining on it.

This spring it's the worst I've ever seen it - like all the work has been for nothing.

When no rain is forecast I'm going to spray it - no way can I pull it all. Besides I think even little bits of roots regenerate so systemic death to the roots too.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njtea(NJ Z6)

A friend called me last year to ask if I knew what garlic mustard was as she'd read of a recipe for garlic mustard soup and she wanted to try some.

I told her yes I knew what it was and that's it's a very invasive weed. But in spite of that I'd bring her some leaves to taste.

Well, she liked them so much that she asked where she could find a plant as she couldn't find any growing on her property - open dry somewhat rocky fields. So I took one plant to her which she is growing in a container.

The article linked below mentions several culinary uses for garlic mustard. As a matter of fact, I think I might try the omlet this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic mustard - tasty

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 7:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

It kind of reminds me of nibbling on onion grass as a child - which made me sick.

Anyway, I have enough for every soup kitchen and restaurant in the state - tens of thousands of plants, covering a couple thousand square feet - that's the big ones, countless teeny little sprouts - except that now it's all laced with Weed B Gone and it's wilting, wilting... (evil laugh).

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
This weekends cold spell and tree question
Well, this weekend officially ended my dahlias growing...
eterprincess
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™