I thought I was beating the garlic mustard

birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)April 9, 2006

Six springs I have been pulling, spraying, mowing before it seeds and I was gaining on it.

This spring it's the worst I've ever seen it - like all the work has been for nothing.

When no rain is forecast I'm going to spray it - no way can I pull it all. Besides I think even little bits of roots regenerate so systemic death to the roots too.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
njtea(NJ Z6)

A friend called me last year to ask if I knew what garlic mustard was as she'd read of a recipe for garlic mustard soup and she wanted to try some.

I told her yes I knew what it was and that's it's a very invasive weed. But in spite of that I'd bring her some leaves to taste.

Well, she liked them so much that she asked where she could find a plant as she couldn't find any growing on her property - open dry somewhat rocky fields. So I took one plant to her which she is growing in a container.

The article linked below mentions several culinary uses for garlic mustard. As a matter of fact, I think I might try the omlet this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic mustard - tasty

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 7:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

It kind of reminds me of nibbling on onion grass as a child - which made me sick.

Anyway, I have enough for every soup kitchen and restaurant in the state - tens of thousands of plants, covering a couple thousand square feet - that's the big ones, countless teeny little sprouts - except that now it's all laced with Weed B Gone and it's wilting, wilting... (evil laugh).

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
privacy wall
Hi i live in south jersey and i want to plant some...
dspicerhvac
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™