Most Common Mistake

mshelenluJune 25, 2014

What is the most common mistake a beginner makes when gardening?

I am a first year rookie and planting fruit trees, flowers, and veggies. My first mistake: overwatering. My second mistake: underwatering. LOL. Please help with any common sense tips. It isn't that obvious to a rookie! =)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

My first mistake was not amending soil in new garden bed. I removed patch of grass, planted tomatoes and failed miserably. IMO it all starts with good soil. Mulch will help retain moisture. Water when plants need it not on a schedule. I never water well established trees and seldom water well established shrubs. Am now experimenting with perennials that are drought tolerant. Still learning after 30 yrs. It's a journey!

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 8:11AM
mshelenlu

3 very solid tips and a good foundation to begin a garden on. I will keep those in mind each year. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 6:45PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
In my area runaway most common is overplanting. I've done that several times lol. do a lot of reseach on plants that interest you. Pay close attention to trees,vines and seeders.
Have a plan "BEFORE " you even lift a spade lol
Think about the basics
What zone am I in?
What kind of soil do I have ?
Irrigation ,Drainage.
What is the purpose?
Ask ?? of local gardeners . Check out plans that you really like and last be aware that no matter how large the area the space is limited?? lol
I'd never done much more than mow the lawn until I came to florida Imagine my horror when I discovered all those cute little "Hoseplants " will eat the house lol
One point I've yet to master. How much of a zone stretcher do I want to be ?? "Rare and exotic" usually translates to expensive and delicate . i can't get past "If I don't try how will I know?? lol
One thing I've found priceless . Keep a log . You'll refer to it a million times over the years!! gary

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 5:42AM
More Discussions
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™