Is this Lantana native?

rcgsltxJune 26, 2014

I planted this lantana a few years ago, not realizing it may not be native to N. Texas, where I live. Since I planted it, I've got three others that have sprouted from birds sitting on my fence. Please help me determine whether it's native or not as I'll pull it out asap if it's not. I read non-native lantana has truncated leaves, but I honestly can't tell if these leaves are truncated or not. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcgsltx

Here's a better photo of the leaves. They look truncated to me, but I'm not certain.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 3:08PM
adidas(6/7)

Hello,
Don't know anything about lantanas but found this link. I'm guessing yours is not native because the flowers are all yellow?

Maybe this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: texas lantana

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 7:06AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have heard that L. horida who its supposed to be a native is not. It has just been introduced so long ago and naturalized that people think it is a native. Even the botanist disagree on this one. I am not saying it is or it is not , since I am no authority⦠I guess I am doing a "just saying" act..

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 9:58PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

Agree with adidas about the color. If they're not "fading" to orange, then almost certain l. camara or its hybrid. Not the almost sterile 'New Gold' either since you've already gotten several volunteers. Identifying by leaf shape seems tough with so many intentional/natural crosses. Photo shows leaf of l. urticoides (fka l. horrida) on the left and l. camara x 'New Gold' on the right... 'Dallas Red' is about the same. Maybe an expert could tell; but while this Texas lantana leaf looks a bit more ovate, there's so much minor variation in leaf shape on each plant, I'd certainly not be able to tell one from another in a random sample. Maybe there are more differences between the pure l. urticoides, l. camara, and l. montevidensis lines.

wantonamara, Could the question about l. urticoides being a "native" have more to do with its U.S. distribution? It is fairly distinct from the more tropical species in color and hardiness. Also, it has a long history of it being considered native to Texas and Mexico. However, the PLANTS database now shows it as being "native" from California to the Carolinas (skipping Georgia), which just seems wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana urticoides native(?) status in PLANTS

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 5:26PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

And given that things do reseed, it might be some degree 90% urticoides and 10% camara (back some generations), to give you color variation.
I tend to believe no lantana was probably native pre-european settlement, but I am certainly no authority on this matter.

In general, I think it provides nectar to hummingbirds and butterflies, and if not noticed to spread invasively, I'd say enjoy it (I do). It probably has less impact on the landscape than a yard full of dandelions (admittedly goldfinches LOVE those).

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 7:47AM
rcgsltx

The flowers are yellow and orange. The lighting in the photo, wasn't great. Thank you all for your input. It's sincerely appreciated!

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™