Insect repellant

Treadstone06June 20, 2014

Hello everyone. My wife and I are attempting to garden this year and everything isn't going half bad so far considering our ignorance lol. I'm hoping that someone can recommend something that I can either plant or put near our garden to repel the cursed mosquitos. They are absolutely terrible and we could only handle 10 minutes with bug repellant on. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog

I'm sort of joking...but about ten years ago we had the most horrendous black fly season and a neighbor made giant caftan coverings of tulle for the entire neighborhood so we could actually visit each other...hilarious but it worked.

I actually have one of these head things for emergency situations....we call 'buzz head'...not sure what bug it is but they just will not stop diving for attack...

After a good rain, check everything around your yard...those pests can breed in a tiny cap full of water...empty garden buckets..turn them upside down by habit....even a 1/2 bag of soil with folded pocket of its plastic collects water...

I make my own summer body lotion that has lemongrass, citronella and cedarwood in a coconut oil base....a bit 'hippy' but it has been working...
smells good!
I've only had about one bite a weekend so far so it seems to work and i'm out all day till sunset.

Here is a link that might be useful: insect protection

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 11:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Treadstone06

Thanks. Yeah there are several places like that in the field nearby that I can't really do anything about. Would you mind sharing the specifics of that lotion you described? Yesterday, we went out earlier and they weren't quite as bad and I used Repel. I would much rather use something natural if I can find something affective. Thanks for your time and response.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Overwhelmed
I've dabbled in plants and gardening for a long time,...
randeye
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™