Jack in the Pulpit question

lumpygravyJune 28, 2008

Someone just gave me a few Jack in the Pulpit plants and bulbs. I've always wanted one of these plants, but I don't know much about them. I always think of them as shade loving plants, but my property has no shade at all yet, so I was wondering if I could plant them in full sun and expect them to survive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

Mine not only grow in shade, they need moist earth. I have mine in the woods and in my moss garden. If you have a corner of the house that is mossy, it might be a nice spot for them.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 4:39PM
esh_ga

If you look at your yard, try to find a place that gets afternoon shade, perhaps because of the way a young tree or large shrub blocks the sun, that would be preferred. As the above poster said, moisture is appreciated, perhaps even the area where the a/c unit spills condensation. Good enough moisture will even help cope with a sunnier than usual location.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 4:50PM
lumpygravy

That's going to be pretty tough for me. Can I grow them indoors in pots till I can create some shade?

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 7:02PM
cynandjon(Z 5/6)

I wouldnt worry to much, I actually had one in my garden and it got quite a bit of sun and got HUGE!!. they are pretty hardy as long as you Keep it well watered. Im in zone 5/6 NE pa. We also have them in the woods. I live in the country and have seen them grow in the sunny spots in the woods(clearings). This particular Jack was in a wet spot. Hubby forgot it was there in the winter and put something on top of it. I was so mad!
You might want to make a bog garden for it, it can add some other plants that like boggy soil.
Good luck

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™