When to start??

suznjn(z5 MA)February 3, 2014

It may be snowing outside, but I'm itching to play in the dirt! I have my indoor lighted greenhouse all set up in my full southern facing windows and I'm ready to go! One question - is it too early to start my tomatoes, peppers and herbs? I started my herbs this time last year and they did great, but I've never started toms or peppers before. Could I start them this week or wait until the end of the month? I'm located in the Berkshires.

This post was edited by suznjn on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 15:48

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

IME, peppers take longer to get going than tomatoes. I wouldn't start peppers before the end of February and might wait until the middle of March. Tomatoes I started 6 to 8 weeks before last frost date. I'm a bit colder than you, but probably not much.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 6:07PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

If you have lights, you can definitely start peppers now. They grow slowly enough that they won't get away from your.

Tomatoes are a totally different matter. Those I'd wait until the recommended 6-8 weeks before frost. That is around the end of March, beginning of April.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 6:25PM
Persimmons(6b Southern Mass)

I use the dates on the back of the seed packets and count back the weeks with a calendar.

The frost date last year was weird. It was supposed to the last week of April, but we had a slight frost overnight the first week of May.

This year I'm using April 28 as the frost date to count back from.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 2:39PM
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

I always start my onions in January. It's still a bit early for most crops though especially tomatoes. I would wait another month. Most veggies will get leggy before they can be transplanted if you start them now.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™