relentless weeds

fiddlrs3(NE Illinois)June 22, 2006

I planted a berm several years ago with Sumac on one end, hazelnuts on the other, and in between a lot of little bluestem seed and prairie clover. They sent me Canada rye seeds by mistake, and I've overseeded it with LBS and clover from my other locations on my proprerty as well as several pounds purchased, and tried overseeding fall, winter, and spring ever since. Years later, the rye has given up, the clover is in there( but virtually invisible), but no sign of LBS and its all overgrown with lawngrasses and thistle. I've tried burning, which the Hazelnut barely survived, and hand weeding, but nothing seems to work. Do I have to kill it all and start over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sam_md

In my state we have several native stands of Little Blue Stem, this can be found, but is not limited to Serpentine Barrens. These sites are hot, dry, nutrient-poor, rocky and xeric. LBS exists here due to its deep root system and very little competition from other plants. Does the berm that you planted match this description? If not, LBS cannot compete with the likes of the plants you mentioned. Here, we have only two native clovers which are extremely rare. The other clovers are EurAsian in origin and nitrogen forming. American Hazelnut is native to stream banks and floodplains.
Warm season grasses can be used as ornamentals in your situation. Try plugs or containers of Panicum virgatum or Andropogon gerardi if height is not a problem. If the site is dry and poor consider Andropogon virginicus.

Bookmark   June 23, 2006 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Sponsored Products
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Fork with Chain - 14010-F
$49.95 | Hayneedle
Grass Gator Load N Cut Trim Line Replacement Head - 1223-1007
$24.99 | Hayneedle
American Outdoor Grill 33803 Triple Drawer - 33803
$765.85 | Hayneedle
Sun Joe Electric Stringless Trimmer - SB601E
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic/American Outdoor Grill 33930S-12T Double Access Door with Double Draw
$864.45 | Hayneedle
Artificial Grass: Turf Evolutions Flooring Pet Turf Indoor Outdoor Landscape
Home Depot
Fire Magic 53914-SL Single Access Door - 14 x 20 - Left Hinge - 53914-SL
$239.70 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic 1D-S-TOP Built-In Beverage Center Top with Transformer - 1D-S-TOP
$829.60 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™