Hire Someone to Plant a Vegetable Garden

KellywwApril 3, 2013

I live in North Jersey and have a large, elevated bed that is currently filled with various bushes and plants. Can anyone recommend a company or individual in my area that has experience setting up a vegetable garden? There are several companies that specialize in vegetable gardens in South Jersey area but I can't find one near me.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffand(6)

I'd suggest contacting a local nursery or garden center (not Home Depot), especially one that has experience with organic gardening. While they may not be able to directly supply the labor needed for creating and turning the garden, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Some nurseries employ local college kids who might be interested in making a few extra dollars as well to do the back breaking work of turning a heavy clay soil and adding amendments.

Preparing the soil is one of the most important steps, so either do the research ahead of time and know what you need to make the site suitable for growing vegetables, or ask the nursery or garden center if they can provide the service. Most will be willing to help out, since you're buying supplies from them!

A soil sample can be sent to your local Rutgers Cooperative Extension. Take the soil sample analysis results to your local nursery and ask what you will need to amend the soil. If they can't do this for you, walk out. It's a basic service they should be able to provide. The Cooperative Extension will also be able to provide you with lots of information, and may suggest needed amendments as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Coop Extensions

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffand(6)

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention. In Northern NJ we have deer. Deer like plants - especially vegetable plants. If you don't have an impenetrable fence around your yard, you'll need a fence to keep the deer, rabbits, groundhogs, etc. out of your garden.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
Any Other Local Garden Forum More Active?
This forum is really quiet. So I just wonder if there...
redsun9
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™