Stilt grass has germinated!

njtea(NJ Z6)April 23, 2005

What a shock it was to see stilt grass seedlings all along the roadside as I took a morning walk.

Oh, well, one less chore for tomorrow as I was going to spread pre-emergent in the woods and on the roadside embankment.

Wait 'til next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skatayama(NJ-7)

I had seen several references to stilt grass here in the NJ forum and wondered what it was. I yahoo'ed it and darn if I don't have it. Not much of it but before I had pretty much left it alone. Guess I should plan to dig it up prior to mulching the plants I do want.
I still leave those little violets where ever they grow. I like them. I also leave any self-seeded rudbeckia alone. I'm not a lazy gardener, really I'm not, but I tend to let things grow until I have something in hand to plant there.

Sheila

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 7:04PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

Too late! It looks like it'll be pulling again this year. I've penciled it in for May, June, July, August, September, with vacation starting in October

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 3:56PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Sheila - don't dig it up! That will only create a "disturbance" in the soil which will cause more seeds to germinate.

Although I just about have to tie my hands behind my back to stop from pulling it, if it's in a place where I don't want to use Round-up, I try very, very, very hard to wait until August to even pull for fear that more seeds will germinate. I don't know if waiting is helpful or not - I just know that I don't have to bend as far down if the stilt grass is taller.

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 6:29PM
turbo_tpl(z7a Richland WA)

Personally, I just rip it out as soon as it gets big enough to do so. If more seeds germinate, so be it. I'll let them grow a little bit, then rip them out too.

That means I have accelerated the process of seed bank exhaustion, as long as I don't let them go to seed. Seed bank exhaustion is my only hope for that scourge....

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 9:31PM
birdgardner(NJ/ 6b)

Ah, stilt grass revisted. If some sharp-eyed person notices when it starts to flower let us all know so we can cut and pull then.

My pre-emergent results - regular crabgrass control worked only when applied at three times recommended rate - I used the extra in my spreader on the heavily infested ends of my yard rather than save it, and it killed it quite dead. I have a solid stilt grass stripe in the back, where I missed a row, with nearly bare earth on either side - pretty much nothing grew there but stilt grass.

The pre-emergent compatible with grass seeding worked somewhat better but not perfectly - may have been a problem with uneven spreading and the dry weather we had then - watering just didn't dissolve the granules the way drenching rains would.

Corn gluten had a very definite effect. However DH applied it and he is not the most meticulous or observant guy around when it comes to yard work. Next year I will definitely try corn gluten at the heavy rate, and do a follow up application 2-3 weeks later - I thought the stilt grass seemed delayed rather than totally stopped by the treatments.

The part of my yard where stilt grass is the least problem is where I planted Rebel fescue, not that it is entirely immune.

Lisa

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 1:14PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Lisa, it should start going to see around the end of August. Just this evening I looked at a patch that I did nothing but cut at the proper time last year - and it's lush and luxurient.

I found pre-emergent that I was able to get down worked very well, but like you, I sure know where I missed!

Where does one buy corn gluten in bulk - and how is it applied?

Bookmark   July 27, 2005 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Sponsored Products
Screen Gems Desert Screen
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Area Rug: Hanford Shag Blended Brown 7' 10" x 10'
Home Depot
Avanity Modero 36" Bathroom Vanity - White
Modern Bathroom
WAC Lighting | Solorailâ„¢ 12V 600W Magnetic Dual Tap Surface Mounted Transformer
$558.00 | YLighting
Hughes Ottoman - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Johan Bidet
Signature Hardware
Textured Lines Rug 10' x 14' - MUSHROOM
$4,599.00 | Horchow
XP Mia Pendant
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™