peony sighting!

hunt4carlFebruary 21, 2010

Sorry, Dee - I couldn't resist mimicing your headline, but, like you, I've just

come in from scoffing up some sun in the garden. . .and MY amazing discovery

were little dark red peony nubs poking up through the ground ! Granted, the snow has kept the ground nicely insulated for some time, and this is a spot near

a number of rocks where the sun beats down all day (and the snow has melted),

but I can never recall the peonies showing up THIS early. . .anyone else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

LOL, Carl. The first thing I thought was, "Hey! Copycat!"

That's a rather impressive find, I must say. Other than some other bulbs sticking through, and a rather limp-looking rudbeckia leaf here and there, I have no new growth on any perennials yet. Definitely not on my peonies!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 5:22PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

I think I've seen peonies come up *very* early some years - as in December January early.

Here, the pussy willow is starting to come out. I've had pussy willows in the swamp forever, but everything was so high up you could barely tell that's what they were. A few years ago, I ordered one to trial as a potential screen plant. That one is visible.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 5:36PM
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

All I have so far are the short blades of iris, greening up. Oh, I'm so ashamed: no signs of peonies, no bulbs, nothing but lots of healthy invasive ajuga repens sneakily taking over the garden beds and grass edges. And, now I look again, lots of tough ailanthus seedlings all over the place. The kind that can't be pulled out because of deep root but have to be dug up or cut off with the hope that the plant will be so discouraged it will stop. Hah.

That's the MA town garden. In the country, the RI garden seems to have been quietly growing things all winter. Nothing but small buds on the plants I love, but eager, coarse rank growth on the ones I don't cherish, such as honeysuckle, bittersweet, wild rose, and wild grape. Soon: skunk cabbage.

Carol

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 11:40AM
diggingthedirt

I was just outside, spending my lunch hour cutting back perennials (I've got dozens of nepeta, which always gets a lot bigger than I think it should, sprawling along the paving and draping the bottoms of the hydrangeas) and I spotted quite a few new green leaves on Walkers Low. They're self-mulching, I guess, and as the spent foliage darkens and begins to disintegrate, it starts to hold (maybe even generate) a more heat.

That was the good news; the bad is that bitter cress, or maybe hairy cress, is all over this garden and is about to flower. If you see more green in your beds than you expect, take a close look and, if you see cress, try to get it before it flowers. This photo isn't mine, but it shows the plant (about 1 inch tall) very well:

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 2:48PM
marie_of_roumania(z6 MA)

your post inspired me to scrabble around in the leaf-mulch and i am please to report the discovery of peony buds under there.
yay!

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 11:43AM
silvergirl426_gw

Lucky you! I measured the snow in the backyard by the poppy bed last weekend -- 15 inches! So up in the way northwest corner of CT no sightings for me AT ALL. I have had to shovel every weekend for the last month. But maybe not tomorrow!
lucia

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Climbing hydrangea question
Green gardener here. This is kind of a silly question...
c_ coy 7aMA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™