Experience with English Hollies anyone?

kelly922April 23, 2012

We planted three 4 1/2 ft English Hollies two falls ago as part of an evergreen screen along a 5' tall fence on the SE side of our back yard. The English Hollies completely lost their leaves after that 1st winter. They rebounded with new foliage but not like it was when it was first planted. Overall it still has a very sticky appearance with sparse foliage and doesn't even look 1" bigger. I know it's still early and it usually takes a few yrs to get established but I guess we were hoping for SOMETHING in terms of progress as the shrubs around it are growing. Hoping this coming season will quiet our concerns. In the meantime, most of what we read about it is conflicting in terms of growth rate and size - so we're a little confused. We love it but we bought it for the promise of SIZE and the benefit of year round color. Wondering if anyone in NJ has experience - good or bad - with english hollies and if there's any advice you can give us. Thanks! --Kelly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_nj(7-a)

English holly needs well-drained soil. They can take a few years to settle in.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I believe English Holly is a bit more cold tender than many locally available but should be good to at least zone 7. I currently grow Blue Princess/Prince, Nellie Stevens (a beautiful ad big variety), Japanese Holly, and Inkberry. Those that are crossed with te Asian varieties seem much hardier. Have not had trouble with Holly in NJ except for some deer munching this year for some reason. Used to grow a Chinese Holly with beautiful, big, glossy leaves but more prickly than a cactus. If the English one does not work out fr you, there are lots more that will thrive in NJ.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Where to buy indoor plants in NJ? and pots.
My first time with houseplants. So far I've bought...
ellenr22
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
Unusual Temperature in December
60 F or so. It is warm.... Feels nice, but may not...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™