I need a fast growing tree for clay soil, any ideas?

studio728July 2, 2006

I live in Tracy, Ca. There is hard clay-like soil in my yard. The summers here are super hot, and the winters are wet & windy. I would really like a fast growing tree that will do well here and look pretty. Do you know of any trees that can hep me?

Thank You,

Teresa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

You could check with your local nursery to see if either a lilly pilly (Acmena, Syzygium, etc) or a jacaranda would suit. Perhaps not a Eucalyptus as you have a windy area...

A possible, if drainage is not an issue, and a big tree is not the object - perhaps one of the Proteas.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 12:18AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corgicorner(Mass 6/7)

Don't know where you live in California, but if you have leaves available like we do in Massachusetts, mix LOTS of leaves in with your "soil". It will make a whale of a lot of difference in the soil. Leaves are cheap, otherwise use peat moss. Another option might be to mix coffee grounds in with your soil. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you cannot correct your soil condition overnight, but either one of the above will definitely help. you can coffee grounds FREE at many Coffee shops if you will give them 5 gallon containers to fill. Take all they will give you. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
Inherited Garden w/ No Winter Prep
Hello, I'm new to gardening and this forum. I'm seeking...
phillips_em
New home with huge garden space - what to plant?
We are moving into our new home this weekend. The...
Nicole Mott
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™