Vegetable Planting

BaconatorApril 21, 2014

This is my first year planting vegetables in a garden and I was curious as to when I should start planting? I'm planning on tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, broccolli, peppers, and various herbs from plants that I'll get at the local nursery. I'm also going to do green beans and snow peas from seed. I live in way north jersey in the mountains so it tends to get chilly at night, this morning it was 28 degrees when I left for work. Any suggestions would be a great help :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I usually wait until Mother's Day for tomatoes and peppers. Have pushed the envelope and planted May 1, but that can be iffy. Your zone 6 is probably not the same as my zone 6 since you're in the mountains. Suggest you ask at the garden center what your last frost date is. I do think you can do broccoli now though, since it prefers cooler temps.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:54AM
bropaul(6 NJ)

It's hard to give an actual date. You need to wait until your night time temperatures are consistently in the 50's. Any sooner and your stuff will be stunted.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:50PM
jimmy56_gw

Snow peas, broccolli and beans should be ok now, But wait with the rest until at least 50 at night and 70 plus during the day.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Was Last Winter Colder Than This Year?
Even with all the snow and cold weather, my bamboo...
redsun9
active discussions?
Any pages that are really active? Just signed up again...
JJRoo
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Garlic
Anyone ever try growing garlic? Tried searching the...
ourbackyard
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™