What Sweet Corn To Plant In Boston Area?

easycityFebruary 19, 2014

Last year I harvested some corns growing in my backyard garden. The seed is Burpee's Sweet Corn, Early and Often Hybrid. The corn grew very well, but the taste is too flat, not sweet at all.
This year I would like to grow more sweet corns, hopefully with better and sweeter taste. I want to try several varieties, some early and some late.
Can experts here recommend corn seed that I can buy from local stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Mahoney's nursery, or Christmas Tree Store?
I also need help on when to plant the seed (after May 15?), when to harvest (2 weeks after silk?), and whether it needs fertilizer.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

You may have better luck asking on the Vegetable Gardening forum.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:52AM
seb99

I feel that better quality seeds can be had from a catalogue rather than a store. When growing different varieties of corn it is important to know which types cannot be grown in close proximity. A good tutorial on this subject can be found in the Johnnys catalogue, the use of which would be appropriate to your location as they are in Albion, Maine.

It is also good practise not to grow corn in the same place year after year. Hope you have room to rotate your crop.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 4:07PM
defrost49

According to the Burpee website, you chose a sugar enhanced variety so I am surprised it wasn't sweet. I'm a fan of Johnny's Seeds which has a website comparison of sugary enhanced corn varieties which shows comments on flavors. That's why I like a seed source like Johnny's which gives more information.
We don't grow corn anymore because the raccoons always knew it was ready the night before we did. I buy from local farmstands. But whenever flavor doesn't seem good enough, I suspect not enough fertility. Agway farm and feed stores have a great selection of seeds from several companies. Do you have one in your area?

Here is a link that might be useful: corn comparison

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™