vegetable gardening with mirrors for light

happy_hybiscusJuly 22, 2007

I've never grown a garden before(vegetable and fruit) But I have almost all day sun over most of my backyard. Unfortunately the spot I wish to put my garden is half shaded by my neighbors garage for one half of the day, and the other half shaded by my garage the second half. I chose the location because we have small children and I do not wish to monopolize the center of our yard with my garden. My question is : is there a way to redirect my light w/mirrors and have a prosperous garden. I don't know the first thing about how to set them up or where.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I don't think mirrors will do it for you...
I would try gardening around the edges and put the sand box and swing set in the shade. The kids will be happier and healthier for not spending all dayh in the sun, and the plants will prefer the sun.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 11:10AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

The back side of a mirror is often black and absorbs a lot of light and doesn't reflect much back

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 2:03PM
happy_hybiscus

Thank you both.
I was wondering, if mirrors are more than likely out, is there another way? Possibly artificial or solar light.Planting around the edges sounds good and I'll look into that, but the middle of my yard really is out of the question. My little ones and everyone else for that matter are really into sports and things. Sandboxes and swing sets aren't the issues. I can't see a football game having any hope in the area between our garages.I'd rather not do artificial light though now that I think about it.It's likely to have added cost. But if I use fencing I may be able to partition off ample space around the perimeter of the yard. Thanx again.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 2:22PM
deshima(Heat Zone 7 Richmond VA)

Archimedes death ray can give you the degree of and placement there of, it has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 9:59PM
esther_opal

My question is : is there a way to redirect my light w/mirrors and have a prosperous garden. I don't know the first thing about how to set them up or where.

Yes, there are fiber optic setups, can't tell you but search.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 12:21AM
tcarano

Though this question was asked several years ago, I had the same question and came across this post. I wanted to add some information for others that may come across this post in the future.

From the research I've done, it is possible to redirect sunlight into shades areas through the use of mirrors in the garden. I moved into a house that had a single-row garden already built which includes a permanent, heavy-duty fence trellis. Unfortunately, this area is shaded for more than half the day. We expanded the garden into sunlight and trimmed some of the trees casting shadows, but not all of the trees are in our property (they are owned by the city).

I found several websites that talk about using mirrors to redirect sunlight, so I'm going to try it in the spring. The one thing that is cautioned is that you are careful how you aim the light so you don't cast too much onto sensitive plants or focus it too much in one area.

This link provides some information about different methods of redirecting light: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20080730022705AALZSrj. I'm looking forward to trying it. I'll try to come back next year and post an update of my results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Methods for redirecting sunlight in a garden

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™