jack in the pulpit advice needed

groundcoverJune 23, 2008

Hello,

Last year I rescued a couple of doomed Arisaema mid-spring, they did well until they went dormant, as I had expected them to. This spring only pups came up. Could the main bulbs have taken a year off(not enough moisture, they were planted much deeper, perhaps the ground was too hard)? Should I re-dig now, or plead with the water gods in hope of a brighter future? Arums (not native) also doing poorly.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

I don't know. The jacks by me seem to move around in an apparently random fashion. That doesn't make sense so I am probably missing something. Sometimes I find them in new locations and sometimes they seem to go missing after reappearing in the same spot for two or more years in a row. Hopefully someone more expert than me answers your question. One area where I had them several years in a row was fairly dry.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 9:45PM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

Interesting... I planted mine in a season that turned out to be a drought. I thought I had lost them. Last year I did not see many of them. This year, suddenly they are all over. I am guessing they only put up a leaf and I did not notice them in the ferns?

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 10:12PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Mine don't seem to move, but this spring I noticed several good sized ones that weren't there at all last season. I'm thinking they may occasionally take a season off if stressed enough, but then return when conditions are more to their likeing.

Sue

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:57PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Jacks like it moist. I would keep 'em watered well this year... and they'll probably do better next year.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Native Evergreen Shrubs
There seems to be a real shortage of species that fit...
jigsawearth
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™