jack in the pulpit advice needed

groundcoverJune 23, 2008

Hello,

Last year I rescued a couple of doomed Arisaema mid-spring, they did well until they went dormant, as I had expected them to. This spring only pups came up. Could the main bulbs have taken a year off(not enough moisture, they were planted much deeper, perhaps the ground was too hard)? Should I re-dig now, or plead with the water gods in hope of a brighter future? Arums (not native) also doing poorly.

Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

I don't know. The jacks by me seem to move around in an apparently random fashion. That doesn't make sense so I am probably missing something. Sometimes I find them in new locations and sometimes they seem to go missing after reappearing in the same spot for two or more years in a row. Hopefully someone more expert than me answers your question. One area where I had them several years in a row was fairly dry.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 9:45PM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

Interesting... I planted mine in a season that turned out to be a drought. I thought I had lost them. Last year I did not see many of them. This year, suddenly they are all over. I am guessing they only put up a leaf and I did not notice them in the ferns?

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 10:12PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Mine don't seem to move, but this spring I noticed several good sized ones that weren't there at all last season. I'm thinking they may occasionally take a season off if stressed enough, but then return when conditions are more to their likeing.

Sue

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:57PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

Jacks like it moist. I would keep 'em watered well this year... and they'll probably do better next year.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™