Viburnum - where to buy

lisacdm(6bNJ)April 14, 2006

I would like to buy about 10 evergreen type of Viburnum, in paticular Prauge (or suggest another type of evergreen Viburnum I'd appreciate it). Can anyone recommend a good source for this shrub? I live in Essex County.

Thanks,

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clancey4(6)

Hildebrant's Nurseries 167 Oldwick Rd., Oldwick
Directions: 1 mi. north of Rt. 78
Phone: 908-439-2256
Available: Shrubs; trees; landscaping; evergreens; shade trees

it's not essex county (hunterdon?) Call first he's not open everyday but it's worth the trip. The owner is really helpful and can teach you a ton about any plant under the sun.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 11:46PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Hildebrant's - yes. Years ago I went to Mr. Hildebrant looking for a variety of shrubs, including Symphocarpus. He told me I'd was the only person who'd ever asked for it and proceeded to give me all of his Symphocarpus for cost - I think I got 6 good size plants.

I need to go see him about the alder I'm looking for. Thank you for reminding me of him - although I drive by everyday on my way to work I come home a different way and never thought of stopping there.

Yes, Lisa, do go visit Mr. Hildebrant.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 6:40AM
lisacdm(6bNJ)

Thanks for the help I'll call this week.

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 1:37PM
Loretta NJ Z6

That sounds like a stop.

You might also call Fairfield Gardens in Fairfield on Route 46. They carry viburnums I think. It is not a hard shrub to find. A lot of nurseries will have it.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 10:40AM
prubo(z6NJ)

I was thrilled to stumble upon a big shipment of Prague Viburnum at Home Depot in Clifton last year. They were big plants for about $15 each. You never know when and where things will turn up!

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 12:31AM
lisacdm(6bNJ)

Thanks for the tip. I live pretty close to Clifton so I can easily (except for that darn traffic cirle) check .

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 11:08AM
Loretta NJ Z6

Fairfield didn't have that one yet. You can also have a nursery place an order for you. Many will do this though it won't be the cheapest option. It will help you get plants of the same size.

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 10:01AM
prubo(z6NJ)

There is a new Lowe's in Union (Morris Ave, just E of Garden State Pkwy exit 140A). I just picked up some huge leatherleaf viburnums there for 13.95 ea. Alas only a few left, but they may be getting more. I have rarely seen these in any nursery.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 4:25PM
mprats(z6NJ Plainfield)

When I was in Paris in November I saw a type of evergreen viburnum that was in full bloom! I have tried to research this a bit, and I think it may be Viburnum tinus, but I am not sure.
I plan to order a couple of plants from Forest Farms and see if they do well in our weather.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Wanted: Gardenia Cuttings
Would like to take some gardenia cuttings.
redsun9
I know a bit off topic: where to buy a half a cow
Hi, I just moved from utah and am looking for somewhere...
jmm_90
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™