sweetpotatoes

gardeningbygraceJuly 30, 2007

In a couple of weeks the rodents realize it is time to "dig in" and get food for the upcoming cold. I garden in a community garden and we all have this problem--rodents the size of a rat burrow in our hills of sweet potatoes. I keep my area clean of weeds and the vines about four feet long but this rodent always seems to burrow in and eat some of the biggest taters! Does anyone have an answer for all of us to control these pests before they even think about making a home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Maybe someone on the Vegetables Forum could help.

Best luck!

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 6:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

Actually, I suspect your best method is going to be to plant the taters inside a box. By using ¼" wire mesh for bottoms and sides (and some inches above ground), the critters cannot reach the taters. I have ongoing warfare with voles, and the only taters I get are those grown inside a long mesh box. I use 30" wide mesh, buried 12" inches deep and keep it well mulched. Surround the box and intersperse the plantings with marigolds to help deter potato beetles. Yes, it was a pain to dig the first time (to bury the bottom third), but after that it's been a joy to reach inside and scrabble out a lovely big *un-nibbled* tater.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
Building House, Bermuda seeding question
Hi I am building a house in Tennessee and was planning...
luderiffic
Transplanting Daffodils
I bought daffodils for easter. Now that they're pretty...
rvs053063
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™