Question about wild grapes cuttings

new_b_gardener(8a)June 20, 2012

I found some wild grapes while walking about a month ago. I tried clipping some of the vines to get them to root. I used some rootone to get them to root to no avail. I even tried placing some in a vase with water like i have seen my aunts do with ivy cuttings, and this also was unsuccessful. I wanted to know does anyone know how to get the vines to root. I would love to grow some.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
new_b_gardener(8a)

I forgot to ask does anyone know how to tell what kind of grape this might be? I was told it could be scuppernongs or maybe fox grapes. I was just curious how to identify.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 7:26PM
new_b_gardener(8a)

i just came back from my walk this is a piece i pull from the vine

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:13PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I'm pulling wild grape seedlings out of all my gardens at the moment. If you can find a small enough plant, they are very transplantable. But for how to root cuttings, try any of the search links.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: how to root grapes

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 9:43PM
kaliaman

Choose wood for cuttings that is at least as big around as your index finger, smaller cuttings don't work as well. Wrap the cuttings in a very slightly damp paper towel then plastic bag and place in the crisper drawer of your frig, let them stay there till callous forms on the cut ends. when callouses form they are ready to root, dip in rootone and place the cuttings vertically (top ends up please). mist regularly and keep potting mix (fluffy and hi in organic matter) moist but not wet till rooting occurs.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 1:21PM
More Discussions
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
native plant sales for MD
First, a big thank-you to everyone who responded to...
charmed
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™