small native shrubs

fiddlrs3(NE Illinois)June 22, 2010

We inherited a foundation planting on our southwest facing side a row of redtwig dogwoods, which were an annual battle to keep from burying our small one-story ranch trying to (naturally!) reach their normal size of 10-15'. I finally pulled a few of them (for a number of reasons!) and would like to replace them with a native that would co-habit with some perennials and not try to exceed 3-4 feet tall. New Jersey Tea? Leadplant? Any suggestions for something short, beautiful, and preferably a friendly neighbor or host?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

New Jersey Tea is very nice. Other ideas include dwarf forms (cultivars) of other plants ('Little Henry' Itea virginica; 'Pee Wee' Hydrangea quercifolia; 'Nana' Ilex vomitoria).

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 9:02PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Fothergillas have nice flowers and great fall color. There are two species that are commonly planted, one that stays quite small and a slightly larger one. Fothergilla major is the larger one I believe.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 4:02PM
topie

Because you're thinking about New Jersey tea, or Leadplant, I figure the area you want to plant in tends to be somewhat dry? If so, I think the New Jersey tea or the Leadplant are good choices. If the area is sunny, you may also want to try Bush/Shrubby cinquefoil (Potentilla fruticosa or sometimes called Dasiphora fruticosa ssp. floribunda). It gets yellow flowers in the summer, and would probably do okay in dry-ish conditions. I believe it's native to NE Illinois, and that butterflies like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush Cinquefoil

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 2:04PM
timvid

It sounds like Blue False Indigo would be perfect for you. It's beautiful, well-behaved, and ours have been maintenance-free.

Tim
www.WildlifeTheater.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue False Indigo

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 5:43PM
Carrie B

If you're at all inclined to keep the red-twig dogwood...

I tend two red-twig hedges for clients, one is in front-of-the-house foundation planting, the other is along a (different) client's driveway. With twice a year pruning, these hedges are kept to about 3-4' in height and look wonderful year-round.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™