transplanting boxwoods

pamJuly 23, 2005

My husband wants to move 2 old fashioned English boxwoods to new locations. They are about 3 ft. tall, and are between 30 and 40 years old. Can anyone provide some how to's, and especially the don't do's? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Wait until it's cooler.....root prune about 9 months before you move them and again 6 months before and again 3 months before.
Dig a big hole to put them into.....water them well before you decide to dig.....dig a trench just outside of the line where you root pruned.....a deep trench.....dig under the bush, tip it to the side, slip some burlap under it and pull it out of the hole. Best to have a lot of help!
That's a huge bush!.....
Linda C

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 2:15PM
pam_parker_att_net

Thanks Linda. It sounds like he needs to get started, doesn't it!! Thanks so much for your help.

Pam

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 2:28PM
lldean_columbus_rr_com

I found some large boxwoods tossed on the side of the road....Yep, I hauled them home.They are rather large.....root balls were about the size of a gallon: maybe gallon&half container.The drip line....about 3ft.Think they have a chance? Should I prune the bushes back at all now? Thanks! lori

Bookmark   November 18, 2006 at 7:27PM
pmrmk

Need to transplant 5 small boxwoods for a client. Now that it is March 8th...should I wait until threat of frost which will be beginning of May. Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™